Paph purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never implied anything boys, you all are jumping the gun. At one time, if memory serves me well, purpuratum was grouped with violascens and many others in the Blepharpetalum section, meaning "eye lash" petals. Only for the lack of a better section to place purpuratum in. Now, purpuratum has been separated out to a new section, Plainipetalum which it is the only member of. I merly was saying David your clone takes after it's distant cousins more so then Carstens.

I never implied anything boys, you all are jumping the gun. At one time, if memory serves me well, purpuratum was grouped with violascens and many others in the Blepharpetalum section, meaning "eye lash" petals. Only for the lack of a better section to place purpuratum in. Now, purpuratum has been separated out to a new section, Plainipetalum which it is the only member of. I merly was saying David your clone takes after it's distant cousins more so then Carstens.

Thanks Rick for the interesting taxanomic background. It had intrigued me how similar it was to the violascens group.

Leo's right about the age of the flower being important. I originally photographed it not longer after opening and the dorsal was almost flat. I didn't like it as much so I waited untiil it finished opening which took another week.

David

Great job David. I think we talked about this plant a couple of years ago, and your humidity situation.

Hang in there. I'm still fiddling with this species too.

My plant grows well, knock on wood. I have had it for a few years and never had any problems with it, so I'm not sure what I'm doing that others don't

In general you've done well with several of the "tough" barbata. You may be cooler, darker, and consistently more humid in Sweden.???

Great job David. I think we talked about this plant a couple of years ago, and your humidity situation.

Hang in there. I'm still fiddling with this species too.

Good memory Rick. From memory the previous flowering occurred on a one year growth. This time the growth grew for 3 years before flowering so it got quite a bit bigger (but still not huge). Interesting the difference. Maybe previously it was stressed and sent up a spike thinking it was about to die.

David

I never did mention that this plant won "Best Paph" and "Champion orchid of the show" at our recent Autumn show. The judges comments were "for what it is, it is pretty good". So not only does it look nice, it is popular with the judges as well.

David

Last edited:
David their comment "for what it is, it is pretty good". I would find insulting. I've had judges make the same with a few of my plants in the past. They also added "It would make a nice table plant"

David their comment "for what it is, it is pretty good". I would find insulting. I've had judges make the same with a few of my plants in the past. They also added "It would make a nice table plant"

Rick - I have heard judges make that comment a lot. I think they use it to try and explain why the small single growth Paph in the corner was voted better than all those large showy flowers on multiple spikes in other genera. I didn't take it as an insult. I mean they just voted it best orchid in the show so they obviously thought more of it than just a "nice table plant".

David

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back