Paph purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
This is my Paph purpuratum (Naomi HCC/AOC x No2) flowering for the third time. I know the Barbata species are difficult in general but this one is especially so. This growth took 3 years to flower. But I’m pretty happy as the previous flowering was on a growth with 3 of the smallest leaves you could imagine. I thought the plant was going backwards and may not flower again. But this growth has 6 much larger leaves so it looks to be much stronger. Now I’ve just got to get some multiple new growths as the plant is still basically a single growth despite flowering 3 times.

David

purpuratum2009.jpg

purpuratum2009closeup.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite species, and I love the broad petals and blocky pouch on yours. I also wish they were a little less challenging. Thanks for sharing.

Nice one! purpurata is like the other "difficult" barbata.....not really hard to bloom....just hard to keep alive! Take care, Eric

They show them in the new Carter & Holmes catalog that just came today. I've been tempted to try one but I don't need culture disappointment. I would rather spend the money on something I know will thrive. I love the look of these though. Congratulations to you!!

--Allen--

I like the colors and spottings on the petals esp. ,but great bloom as a whole, and foliage looks very healthy, too!!! Any special growing tips?? Jean

I like the colors and spottings on the petals esp. ,but great bloom as a whole, and foliage looks very healthy, too!!! Any special growing tips?? Jean

My plant is surviving rather than thriving so there may be others better credentialled. And until I can get some multiple growths happening I will never be confident I am on top of this plant. But it has done better since I have been able to increase the humidity as well as growing it in more shade. It also has done better since I have put it in CHC chips which I assume is because of more moisture. But I know that Rick has found that the Barbata group in general doesn't do well in CHC. That is not my experience though. I think the thing with CHC is you need to use shallower pots than you would use with bark.

David

Wonderful, and quite different from the purpurata I have in bloom for the moment. I will try to arrange a good photo of it.

Very nice purpuratum, and quite different from the type that has been seen around here lately:

20090226-123850-775.jpg

I won't comment on the species' ease of culture, since I own my plant only since autumn.

Cheers, Carsten

Since we've got all these purpuratum fans in one place, and everyone finds it to be a bit of a challenge...

Can anyone recommend a hybrid with a strong purpuratum vibe that grows like a weed?

My plant grows well, knock on wood. I have had it for a few years and never had any problems with it, so I'm not sure what I'm doing that others don't

:clap: I like the chunky type!
Sounds like it mike be a good candidate to share the terrarium with warm masdies & dracs!?

David, your plant leans towards the violascens side of this group where Cartsen's plant is the more typical purpuratum look. Both very nice

David, your plant leans towards the violascens side of this group where Cartsen's plant is the more typical purpuratum look. Both very nice

I'm not sure whether you are implying that my plant may be a hybrid which you are fully entitled to do. I can certainly see why you are comparing it to the violascens group. Although I think this is just a co-incidental result of line breeding for shape rather than any genetic input from this group. Other than some superficial differences in shape, Carsten's and my plant are pretty much identical to my eyes.

David

I'm not sure whether you are implying that my plant may be a hybrid which you are fully entitled to do. I can certainly see why you are comparing it to the violascens group. Although I think this is just a co-incidental result of line breeding for shape rather than any genetic input from this group. Other than some superficial differences in shape, Carsten's and my plant are pretty much identical to my eyes.

David

I agree, both are nice Paph purpuratums. Age of the flower when photographed is key, purpuratum dorsal edges usually reflex back as the flower ages. A newly opened flower looks nothing like a flower that is 6 weeks old.

Latest posts

Back