Paph Prince Edward of York

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I flowered this for the first time 5 years ago. So it has been a long wait for the 2nd flowering. And what a disappointment. I don't think it could be worse. Deformed flowers, small size, narrow dorsal, short petals, terrible shape and the 3rd flower decides to turn the wrong way. Anyway I am just going to put the plant out of its misery and cut the spike off. Now the long road to the next flowering.

I actually think this plant has a lot of potential. The 2nd photo is when it flowered the first time and it looked fantastic. I can't recall seeing PEOY's in this colour. I just have to try and grow it better. I'm having trouble getting it into a clump.

Paph Prince Edward of York (rothschidianum 'Nan' SM/TPS x sanderianum 'In-charm')

peoy2011com.jpg

peoy.jpg

Bummer
anticipation is what keeps us going
good luck with the next flowering

The first bloom does look very nice. I'd give it one more chance to prove itself.

I think it has already proven itself with the first flowering Nick. This plant can put out high quality flowers. I just have to grow it better so that it can reliably flower well in the future. I'm sure if you can grow it into a strong clump the flowers will be much better. I'd also expect a good flower count (at least 5). I'm happy with 3 flowers on a small plant.

Amazing, the difference. How do you think your culture changed the flowering?

It is hard to pinpoint anything Dot. The flowering on most of my Paphs this year has been superior to previous years so it is not a general problem across my collection. I think you are prone to these problems when flowering on small plants.

I think it has already proven itself with the first flowering Nick. ......
Indeed !!
It is hard to pinpoint anything Dot. The flowering on most of my Paphs this year has been superior to previous years so it is not a general problem across my collection. I think you are prone to these problems when flowering on small plants.
I think the most impotant thing is to strenghten the plant and get a multigrowth one. To cut the spike off is the first step. Thing is, the plant had five years ago two fans - a mature one and an evolving one. This time its only a single growth plant!!

A great disappointment for sure. If it were me and the plant didn't improve vegetatively over the next couple of years, I'd trash it and get a new one. Sometimes, a promising plant is just that : a promise.:mad:

The colour of the first blooming was nice but I don't think I could be as patient as you. But if you have bench space then why not wait?

Indeed !!

I think the most impotant thing is to strenghten the plant and get a multigrowth one. To cut the spike off is the first step. Thing is, the plant had five years ago two fans - a mature one and an evolving one. This time its only a single growth plant!!

It has two tiny new leads but I'm doubtful both of them will develop. That happened to me last time - 2 leads were initiated but only one developed.

A great disappointment for sure. If it were me and the plant didn't improve vegetatively over the next couple of years, I'd trash it and get a new one. Sometimes, a promising plant is just that : a promise.:mad:

I wish I lived in a country where I could ring up my local nursery and ask for a 3 growth PEOY. I just don't have that option. I had a chance to buy another flowering size PEOY for $400 about 5 years ago. I had mortgages to pay etc so I decided against it. I've regretted it ever since as I've never seen another plant for sale. I have another plant that would be about 40-50 cm across but that won't flower for at least 5 years.

In anycase, I think this plant is worth persevering with. While it has a few failings, in terms of colour it is one of the best PEOY's I have seen.

David!
Just wanted to add it's not always our fault when a plant underperforms. Maybe you should check this one for virus. You never know. This plant has gone weak for a reason.

David

Both my roths and sanderianums have done very well shifted to basket culture and low K fertilizing.

I can't see any reason why this plant shouldn't clump and bloom in less than 5 years.:wink:

I agree -- cut the spike, repot the plant, and feed it lots of calcium & magnesium. Hopefully, a stronger plant will give better flowers next time.

David!
Just wanted to add it's not always our fault when a plant underperforms. Maybe you should check this one for virus. You never know. This plant has gone weak for a reason.

I have quite a few multi's that are just not growing at all. But this is not one of them. While slow growing, you could always see that it was making progress and it always looked healthy. I find any multi that has flowered on a single growth with a small lead takes at least another 3 years to flower again. And I would expect a PEOY to be even slower. But if I can get multiple new growths then eventually it will flower pretty regularly. I'm hoping the low K diet will help me achieve this.

David

Both my roths and sanderianums have done very well shifted to basket culture and low K fertilizing.

I can't see any reason why this plant shouldn't clump and bloom in less than 5 years.:wink:

I agree -- cut the spike, repot the plant, and feed it lots of calcium & magnesium. Hopefully, a stronger plant will give better flowers next time.

Thanks Rick. I'm depending on the low K fertilizing to work. :) I have been applying the Trio (CMB) Foliar for a few weeks now, so we will see how that goes. I'm hoping it will help in initiating multiple new growths.

Latest posts

Back