Paph. platyphyllum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Below are some pictures of Paph. platyphyllum.

This is Paph. platyphyllum 'Tonka', the parent of the Paph. Taiwan I posted earlier.
PaphplatyphyllumTonka2.jpg

Close up of Paph. platyphlyllum flower:
Paphplatyphyllum1242007.jpg

2 botanical drawings I did for the Orchid Digest article:
PaphplatyphyllumBotanical2.jpg

PaphplatyphyllumBotanical1.jpg

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting.

Very similar flowers to stonei. Just paler and with less curl to the petals. The staminode is also very similar. The leaves are shorter and wider.

I know this comparison has been brought up many times already and I remember the OD article.

These are some of the best pictures I've seen of this species. If I remember correctly this species has only been found in one very restricted site in Borneo. Have any more been located and brought into cultivation. I hope more people grow and breed this species.

Nice plant and job Robert. Rick I'm trying! I bought 2 when Tom, Fox Valley was selling them about year ago.

It looks more like a kolopakingii to me.

It carries more flowers than a stonei. It's habit and looks have many similarities with both stonei and kolopakingii.

It carries more flowers than a stonei. It's habit and looks have many similarities with both stonei and kolopakingii.

I personally think it is a species, that is very closely related to both stonei and kolopakingii, but is kind of intermediate between the 2. I am guessing that all 3 species were derived from the same ancestral species, but over time got isolated from each other and developed into their own species. Paph. platyphyllum does grow, thus far we know, on top of a mountain isolated from the other 2 species, so I don't think it is a natural hybrid between the 2.

Robert

Thanks for the info. How come nobody called me back when I called. Friday beer party?! :poke:

Did you call Orchids Limited? If so yep we were all partying...Actually I take Friday afternoon's off, so I don't know what the rest of the crew were doing.

Robert

Back