Paph parishii and randsii deflasked

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give them the opportunity to make it right, if not I'm with Shiva!

I agree here, I hope that they turn out as something for which you can ask a bit of money so you have at least a bit of return of your investment.

It looks to me like there are 2 different sets of plants in the first tray....

They do use that abbreviation so it's very possible.

They are from Hung Shen because I looked at the Formosa seedling list and the Hung Shen seedlings and they are identical.

I recently got a few seedlings from a from an online nursery near Vancouver who sold me a Paph violascens, Paph micranthum, Paph randsii seedlings. They came from Formosa so I doubt they will be the real species. I am in the same boat as you are.

Paphman910

Hi Darren
I bought many from ShinYi Orchids who sold the flasks as from Touch Orchids. As well as In cHarm who did their own flasking.
I am going there (TIOS) again next year, so if you can PM me or even in this forum, I will make inquiries about HungShen orchids. Thanks.

Well news just in........they believe it's Paph dianthum.

The bad news is that it's not a species I wanted to grow and nor do I think I can grow it.......anyone know the requirements of this one?

Sorry I mean the parishii is dianthum.

The randsii we believe to be correct.

EDIT: Actually I just looked up dianthum, this should grow find in my conditions and is an interesting one to own.

I might see how I go with them. I am also happy to sell a few seedlings if people are interested later on. This one grows below 10C so it should do really well.

If the leaves are mottled than it can't be dianthum. The leaves of dianthum are little different to that of parishii (they are very closely related).

Dianthum is much easier to grow than parishii. The flowers are bigger but there are not as many of them. My dianthum is in bud at the moment. It is a lovely and rewarding species in my opinion.

David

Well news just in........they believe it's Paph dianthum.

The bad news is that it's not a species I wanted to grow and nor do I think I can grow it.......anyone know the requirements of this one?

Although dianthum grows in mountainous areas of north - north west Viet nam the climate is very extreme. Within part of it's range Lai Chau for insistence, temperatures in summer are often above 36C and sometimes above 40C, in winter temps can drop to 1-2C with the occasional frost.

So the extremes in temp are similar to Melbourne, only precipitation and humidity are reversed.

Mick

Thanks guys, someone has suggested to me that it could be Wellesleyanum x anitum as the numbers on the flask are similar. So I will ask them about that but even if they come back with an answer I have to assume I don't know what they are for now.

Well the wait for flowering begins.........

If I were you, I'd print or save soft copies of their recent flask lists. That way, when they eventually bloom years from now, you can have a better chance of putting a name on them. Knowing they have (Wellesleyanum X anitum) etc is better than (some brachy X some multifloral).

Latest posts

Back