Paph. micranthum & Paph. Wössner Bellarmi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Just coming back from long holidays, and found these two guys blooming in my greenhouse... Both of them have bloomed much earlier than what I expected I don't know how the weather was like while I was away, but it seems to have accelerated some plants here! First time bloom in both cases!

Paph. micranthum 'Bubble Gum' x Self

Paphiopedilum micranthum by kavanaru, on Flickr

Paph. Wössner Bellarmi (bellatulum x armeniacum): relatively good size and general shape, but with some color break and a tooth on the lips. At least no teeth on the petals, which are supposed to be common issue on this hybrid. Maybe next season the bloom improves...

Paphiopedilum Wössner Bellarmi by kavanaru, on Flickr

The micranthum doesn't really look like an eburneaum for me. What I remember eburneaum should have netting in the petals and some netting/ pattern in the dorsal as well. This clone is a near album form. Most unusual! Nice one Ramon.
Your other one's pouch reminds me of Pope's chin! He just needs a corn cob pipe placed in the pouch at the crease!

I believe 'Bubble Gum' is an eburneum clone. Very nice blooms!

Indeed, 'Bubble Gum' is supposed to be var eburneum. I was also expecting a more dramatic petals on this selfing, as I recall a better netting on the petals of the eburneum I have seen. This plant reminds me more of var. alboflavum (Braem).

@Justin, the plant has only one mature growth. I was wondering whether I should cut off the flower and let the plant get stronger.

I believe 'Bubble Gum' is an eburneum clone. Very nice blooms!

Yes, but what is sold as Bubble Gum selfings are the white pouched micranthum, purchased from Taiwan... This explains that...

That plant is a micranthum white pouch from North Vietnam, and a very nice one...

Yes, but what is sold as Bubble Gum selfings are the white pouched micranthum, purchased from Taiwan... This explains that...

That plant is a micranthum white pouch from North Vietnam, and a very nice one...

Thanks Roth! Just a question, is this a described variety? What is exactly the difference with eburneum or alboflavum?

Thanks Roth! Just a question, is this a described variety? What is exactly the difference with eburneum or alboflavum?

The 'alboflavum' is a green and white plant, with alba flowers, and sometimes a couple of black/brown dots at the base of the petals. It is nearly an albinistic flower.

The eburneum is a white pouched micranthum, usually from China, the flower is the shape of a normal micranthum. The leaves are a bit different...

Micranthum Kwangsee ( but Bubble Gum is definitely not, unlike what the sellers say this type...) has an absolutely perfect shape and a white pouch, no pink nowhere. The leaves are very different from a normal kwangsee, with a chess pattern, very dark green, very wide leaves for some of them...

Yours is what a few people call micranthum var. Vietnamense ( in Japan). It is not described, but used in the trade for plants with quite dark green leaves, flowers with a white pouch, bigger than the Chinese eburneum.

In fact, in the trade most of thow white pouched micranthum are today the 'Vietnamense' type, not the kwangsee or eburneum. A good source ages ago of Kwangsee in the USA, genuine ones, was Maisie Orchids in California.

Yours are

The 'alboflavum' is a green and white plant, with alba flowers, and sometimes a couple of black/brown dots at the base of the petals. It is nearly an albinistic flower.

The eburneum is a white pouched micranthum, usually from China, the flower is the shape of a normal micranthum. The leaves are a bit different...

Micranthum Kwangsee ( but Bubble Gum is definitely not, unlike what the sellers say this type...) has an absolutely perfect shape and a white pouch, no pink nowhere. The leaves are very different from a normal kwangsee, with a chess pattern, very dark green, very wide leaves for some of them...

Yours is what a few people call micranthum var. Vietnamense ( in Japan). It is not described, but used in the trade for plants with quite dark green leaves, flowers with a white pouch, bigger than the Chinese eburneum.

In fact, in the trade most of thow white pouched micranthum are today the 'Vietnamense' type, not the kwangsee or eburneum. A good source ages ago of Kwangsee in the USA, genuine ones, was Maisie Orchids in California.

Yours are

Yep, thanks I did not find that page back... It describes the name in the trade.

I am amazed by your explanation. Just a query, how could you know so much about those unreported? I could merely find some summarized literature with good citations.

Latest posts

Back