Paph micranthum (forma eburnum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
This is a micranthum that I picked up probably 25 years ago, I was told came from Kwong See. The name Kwong See is an English transliteration from the Cantonese name for a province in China. I think the Mandarin pinying would be Guang Xi, but my Chinese is more vague than true, so I might have the spelling wrong.

This is the type that's been described as eburnum, most of the reds and pinks are suppressed, but not all. The foliage is not as dark as the other two that I bought at the same time, eburnum is supposed to have dark foliage.

I accidentally dried the plant out hard, while it was in bud, while traveling over the holidays, so the flower is lumpy and distorted. When it bloomed last time it was a very nice, smooth flower, but that was more than ten years ago. I nearly lost the plant, and it has taken 10 years to nurse it back to health. One growth, but now it has roots! :)

Enjoy
micranthum237-Feb2012a.jpg

Sorry Leo but that look like the album form!!! I do see a tiny bit of color on the upper edge of the petals and the dots but.... Wow I wish you could self it to see if pure albums come from it! Beautiful!!

There definitely is quite a range of colors in the eburneum variety. Some (like mine in my avatar) are much darker than others. I believe the FCC clone of eburneum was light like your plant.
Very nice bloom, regardless of the little imperfections!

This is a beautiful plant, but this is by no means an album...just an exceptionally light, and despite imperfections, a gorgeous eburneum.

Sorry Leo but that look like the album form!!! I do see a tiny bit of color on the upper edge of the petals and the dots but.... Wow I wish you could self it to see if pure albums come from it! Beautiful!!

Thanks Rick, I do want to self it. But right now it only has one growth and no new starts yet, I'm just glad I didn't kill it. I will self it once it is a 3 growth plant. This is not a robust growing plant. Hopefully it will continue to pick up vigor.

I suspect this plant has some color dilution genes, but it is not an alba. It will definitely be interesting to self.

There definitely is quite a range of colors in the eburneum variety. Some (like mine in my avatar) are much darker than others. I believe the FCC clone of eburneum was light like your plant.
Very nice bloom, regardless of the little imperfections!

Thanks Nick, the other two plants I bought with this one, looked more like your avatar. I presume they all were from the same location. This one is unique for the 3.

very nice Leo, good to have saved it !!!

There is cleary albinistic genes in it, I would call it var. albescens like mine that is going to bloom in about a month.
I would be very interested in crossing it with mine... too bad it's not a in bloom now because you would have been able to do the reverse cross.

paph%2520micranthum%2520albescens.JPG

great one and yours too Paul,

In which soil do you grow them.

Do you have calcium in it

Latest posts

Back