Paph. micranthum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
Large flower for a tiny first-bloom seedling. Staminode just a bit wonky, but hopefully will improve on future bloomings. Another successs for my cool growing case!

Attachments

• micranthumalbum1022.jpeg
    micranthumalbum1022.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3
Kudos to you for growing this extravagant and rare plant and fower it well. 👌 As Jens (Guldal) already mentioned this isn't Paph. micranthum album but Paph. micranthum fma. glanzeanum.
Well done! Wonderful fma. glanzeanum - if my memory doesn't elude me!.......
Jens, your memory doesn't elude you.....so far no senior moments!

Kudos to you for growing this extravagant and rare plant and fower it well. 👌 As Jens (Guldal) already mentioned this isn't Paph. micranthum album but Paph. micranthum fma. glanzeanum.

Jens, your memory doesn't elude you.....so far no senior moments!
It is indeed the album form of micranthum. Yes, there is a formal name. I just use the generic appellation; I don't keep up with the varietal names for all the color forms of all the species as they are all different, usually honoring someone's name, instead of having been standardized. As well, those, like me, who don't follow the nine thousaned (hyprebole) different designations might not know wtf it is I'm showing by the title if I used that, so this makes certain every single person who sees the title knows exactly what it means.

It is indeed the album form of micranthum. Yes, there is a formal name. I just use the generic appellation; I don't keep up with the varietal names for all the color forms of all the species as they are all different, usually honoring someone's name, instead of having been standardized. As well, those, like me, who don't follow the nine thousaned (hyprebole) different designations might not know wtf it is I'm showing by the title if I used that, so this makes certain every single person who sees the title knows exactly what it means.
It is an albino which is sold as album, that's true. But there is a real album form which is pure white with just a small yellow blotch on the staminod and that is named as fma. kienii (according to O. Gruss 'Paphiopedilum' Vol.1, p.95).

Wow looks great!!

How long did flower take to develop from sheath?

Would you kindly show pic of whole plant and flower?
what a wonderful result !
could you also share how you grow your micranthums?

Don't recall exactly how long, but it was months, maybe I saw the buds late last winter/early spring? I probably should have made note, but didn't.

These smaller ones are grown in the cool case under led lights, with nighttime lows of ~52º-54F and daytrime highs of ~72º-76ºF, in 2.25" plastic deep pots ("rose pots") in a fine bark/hand chopped sphagnum mix, kept wet year-round. The big type form one (~25 growths in a 10" basket) doesn't fit in the case so aside from a few months early last spring, it lives in the greenhouse and then outside during the summer under 30% shadecloth, also kept wet year-round. I fertilize the plants in the case maybe once a month/twice a month, with my homemade k-lite sort of fertilizer mix.

Here's a quick pic - best I can do this early, sorry!

Attachments

• micranthumalbumplanttwo1022.jpeg
    micranthumalbumplanttwo1022.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2
....this isn't Paph. micranthum album but Paph. micranthum fma. glanzeanum.
Well, Rudolf, I'm glad, that I not in all respects stand on the threshold of dementia...
I guess, one could soften the viewpoint somewhat...fma. glanzeanum is clearly the correct botanical designation... though I think nobody would be in doubt, what we are talking about with fma album...but then one should let it be followed by the designation (Hort.) to make it clear, that it's a horticultural designation (pace Braem and Gruß, who I, for my inner ear, can hear argue in unison: But this flower isn't only white! 😉).

Last edited:
QUOTE="Guldal, post: 738081, member: 54537"]... I think nobody would be in doubt, what we are talking about with fma album...
[/QUOTE]
Ah, I was wrong:
there is a real album form which is pure white with just a small yellow blotch on the staminod and that is named as fma. kienii (according to O. Gruss 'Paphiopedilum' Vol.1, p.95).
This makes the naming/designation more than just an academic exercise: If both tenman's wonderful flower and Gruß' fma. klenii are subsumed under the generic 'fma. album' , we will, actually, be in doubt about what we are talking about by that designation?! 😁

(Btw. according to both Braem and Gruß the yellow pigmentation in fma klenii would exclude it from being "a real album form" in the botanical sense as the flower isn't white through and through. Though it could be called 'a true albino', but that goes for glanzeanum as well, as both are without anthocyanin (red) pigmentation).

Latest posts

Back