Paph Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score

This is Paph Michael Koopowitz (sanderianum 'Deep Pockets' x roebelinii 'Grace' AM/AOS). I picked this up from John M a couple weeks ago. A few flaws but hoping it improves next blooming. Hey, it's a multi so it will keep me happy for awhile. :D

You could throw it away!! or give it to me!!! Lol.. j.k. thats a good one!! mine will not bloom aaarrgghh

I don't see any flaws, besides fertilizer burn, thats no problem, your blooms are great, mostly compact plant 3 blooms great shape & color!! The petals have broad shoulders!! Thats awesome, I'd be happy with it!!!

The colour on that is really nice, Wendy. Roebelinii gives the petals a nice, uniform twist, too. Too bad about the marks on the foliage. Troy, that's not fertilizer burn, it's cold/stress damage. The plant was way overdue for repotting; so, it was not in tip top health. Then, last winter my greenhouse went down to the 40's F a lot, during the night and many days were only in the mid 60's F. That's WAY too cold for a sandie hybrid! It was repotted this spring and there were many nice live roots with growing tips; but, they were short. So, this blooming is definitely NOT it's best. It's a single growth plant that was newly repotted following a very stressful winter. Wendy will whip it into shape, put on a bigger, healthier new growth and the next blooming will be so much better. It's nice now, considering the hard life it's had this past year. I can't wait to see how it looks when Wendy reblooms it on a new growth.

Oh, thats cold stress, it closely resembles fertilizer burn, sorry about that, it has fresh roots through freeze stress, that is a strong plant!!!

Interesting on the ruffled dorsals. I wonder if that will repeat.

Very observant, Rick. Come to think of it, neither sanderianum or roebelinii have much if any "ruffles". I guess roebelinii can have a bit of a wavy dorsal; but, this MK has very consistant ruffles on both open flowers. I suppose the judges would scoff at that; but, I like it a lot.:clap:

This must be a very, very old clone Wendy/John. I have not heard of 'Deep Pockets' being used in hybridizing in years. I wonder if its even alive these days.

Last edited:
Yes the ruffling was one of the 'flaws' of which I spoke. The flowers are a bit off kilter as well....not perfectly symmetrical. Both should improve on the next blooming. If not then it's worth keeping just for the old breeding.

Thanks everyone. :D

We both got an MK form John around the same time :p The one you got looks beautiful!

Latest posts

Back