Paph Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I haven't been able to post photos of my orchids for a while due to computer issues. These are now resolved so I'm back up and running.

Here is a photo of my Michael Koopowitz that was in flower a few weeks back. Like the cross in general, I have been a bit jinxed with this plant. I bought it as a FS plant at least 12 years ago. It had no roots so was in poor shape. It quickly put out a spike of one flower which was totally deformed. More than a decade later I have flowered it for the 2nd time. Not great but good enough to think if I get this plant strong enough it will put out some nice flowers. Unfortunately the jinx continued as before I could take a photo, the plant was knocked over smashing the bottom two flowers and the third flower stopped opening.

I have had bad experiences with this cross in general - either plants are very poor growers or they get rot easily. Early this year I had a seedling that was growing like a weed - as vigorous as any multi-floral I own. But it got rot and had to be thrown out.

Paph Michael Koopowitz (sanderianum 'Jacobs Ladder' x phillipinense 'Red Corkscrew).

Nice flowers, worth the effort. I hope you can get this plant going stronger.

The photo looks like it has been taken in candle light.

That was pretty bad wasn't it. That was the jpg file basically straight out of the camera. I might need to revisit those settings. This is from the RAW file. I cut the spike off a fair while back so I can't compare it directly. It is a terrible photo and flowering whatever you use. :)

David, MK is worth all efforts and hopefully your plant will become stronger as quick as possible.
The second photo looks more realisticly.

That certainly has potential and well worth the effort of effort of carrying on with it. I have also found this to be a hybrid which under my conditions can be very prone to alternating rapid growth and rot cycles. I have found with an introduction of cal/mag nitrate feed inbetween my regular fertilizing that the growths have strengthened and seem to be less susceptible to rot, time will tell.
I like that a lot, one of my favorite sandi hybrids!

Yes, one of my favorite sandie hybrids as well. I have come up against these rot issues as well with this hybrid. I have four different clones and of course the awarded clone has been hit the worse with rot! Man you hate to hear it.
That is a very old clone David. You just don't hear anything about the two parents of your plant. I wonder if either are still alive.

That certainly has potential and well worth the effort of effort of carrying on with it. I have also found this to be a hybrid which under my conditions can be very prone to alternating rapid growth and rot cycles. I have found with an introduction of cal/mag nitrate feed inbetween my regular fertilizing that the growths have strengthened and seem to be less susceptible to rot, time will tell.
I like that a lot, one of my favorite sandi hybrids!

This plant did nothing for many years but really picked up in the last couple of years when I was providing much higher amounts of Ca and Mg.

Yes, one of my favorite sandie hybrids as well. I have come up against these rot issues as well with this hybrid. I have four different clones and of course the awarded clone has been hit the worse with rot! Man you hate to hear it.
That is a very old clone David. You just don't hear anything about the two parents of your plant. I wonder if either are still alive.

Sorry to hear about your awarded plant Rick. That was a big specimen plant from memory. I find when I get a plant to that size, it will never get rot.

I think this was one of the first MK. The sanderianum 'Jacobs Ladder' is a clone I have heard a lot of although not recently. From that perspective it would be nice if I could keep my MK alive.

Latest posts

Back