Paph. maudiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinhpicohp

Reaction score
It just blooms

Haithietlai2_zpsfaac77b3.jpg

Haithietlai1_zps64192415.jpg

Sorry, as a novice, I am confused by the 'broad' use of 'Maudiae'. I am never sure if it refers to the group of hybrids which I understand as Maudiae type' or actual Maudiae. Would this be an actual 'Maudiae'? as the petals dont seem to be characteristic? The colour is incredible!:confused:

You are completely right. The name "Maudiae" is now used for an ample group of Paphiopedilum, like 'phalaenopsis-type' or 'nobile-type' Dendrobium. The group is very diverse, with alba (green and whites) normal (red pigments) and vinicolor (dark red pigmented) divisions. All being mottled-leaved, there is little direct parentage between most oft them with the real Paphiopedilum Maudiae.

I assume that part of the problem arrises with commercial labeling of the group. I purchased a plant at a local garden center (not my normal source), but it was verrry WOW, so I could not resist. It was simply labeled as 'Maudiae Orchid'. I contacted the original supplier and after quite a bit of waltzing managed to get three hybrid possibilities from which we identified the original cross.

Than you have been very lucky! 'Maudiae Orchid' is like 'Cambria Orchid' ....

Than you have been very lucky! 'Maudiae Orchid' is like 'Cambria Orchid' ....

The grower had only purchased three different crosses from Taiwan (10 flasks of each cross), a vini, a green and a Macabre. So yes I guess I was lucky, had the crosses been similar it would have been less certain, if not impossible to identify the actual parentage. The grower concerned normally only buys complexes for the pot plant trade, and the 'Maudiae' purchase was a trial to see if the local market would show any interest.

The grower had only purchased three different crosses from Taiwan (10 flasks of each cross), a vini, a green and a Macabre. So yes I guess I was lucky, had the crosses been similar it would have been less certain, if not impossible to identify the actual parentage. The grower concerned normally only buys complexes for the pot plant trade, and the 'Maudiae' purchase was a trial to see if the local market would show any interest.

"Mine is one from Taiwan" explained by the seller, who I bought from. At the time, the original label had been missed after being imported into the custody of the seller and grown at her home for a certain period.

I was explained by her that it is a cross of Paphiopedilum purpuratum x...that was unknown to me.

It still has a beautiful colour, and the fine speckling along the upper half of the petals (pururatum influence?) is also attractive. Next flowering hopefully the dorsal will open better. I have a large number of 'maudiae' crosses and that seems to happen to the dorsals on occasion (and some flowerings the dorsal is perfect), I have never figured out why, any ideas anyone?

Latest posts

Back