Paph Maudiae 'Los Osos' HCC 2016

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This is an old clone awarded back in the 70's. Owner then was Norris Powell.

Opened back in early Oct. (sorry about the cobb webs)
Maudiae1_zpscthnxwcw.jpg

Then again in Nov.
Maudiae2_zpspfqb2iom.jpg

And now at Christmas
Maudiae3_zpsjie0jgjz.jpg

These three flowers are not individual plants but one large plant. I would like all to see how the environmental conditions affect the quality of each blooming. Warmer in Oct and gradually getting colder with less and less light. Not only is the shape of each flower different but also the amount of maroon in the dorsal halo increases later in the year. In person its more noticeable.
I bring this up because of the digressed conversation in my sanderianum thread where Tom-DE believes my plant is a hybrid. I personally disagree with that notation. I don't think its typical of sandies to bloom in the winter and this December flowering could give this "off" look Tom is picking up on.

Maudiae4_zpsjfaabccv.jpg

Maudiae5_zps8ffrfpak.jpg

I fully agree that the size, shape, and coloration of the blooms of many species and hybrids is importantly influenced by light levels and temperature for sure, and I am less sure about fertilizer makeup and concentration. This applies not just to certain types of Paphs, but also Phrags and going outside of Slippers I have certainly seen it with Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, and Miltoniopsis. There are scientific reasons for some of the color changes, but I am not sure what is involved with subtle changes in shape and size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think it's necessarily the cause and effect.
The gene expression might just be random in expressing flower shape each time regardless of the environment.

Certain color is known and can be explained why and how they are influenced by temperature and light, and chemicals taken up in certain plants.

I have seen tons of maudiae and its parental species all in bloom at the same time. Some were perfectly flat (yes, even callosum) and others were not, especially for callosum, I think it is natural for the dorsal to twist around a bit.
So, this leads me to think the way I do.

Nice classic though! :)

I don't think it's necessarily the cause and effect.
The gene expression might just be random in expressing flower shape each time regardless of the environment.

Certain color is known and can be explained why and how they are influenced by temperature and light, and chemicals taken up in certain plants.

I have seen tons of maudiae and its parental species all in bloom at the same time. Some were perfectly flat (yes, even callosum) and others were not, especially for callosum, I think it is natural for the dorsal to twist around a bit.
So, this leads me to think the way I do.

Nice classic though! :)

Well, I haven't seen tons of Maudiaes nor callosum itself but I do have "tons" of time with this clone. Been growing it since the 90's and it can bloom 3 times a year when its a larger clump. Every summer blooming is pale and wonky, cooler months it lives up to its HCC award. Unfortunetly this clone defies your gene expression logic because it is near prefect every cold environment and off in every warm one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back