Paph lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
I have a Paph lowii, the second of two seedlings from the same cross, that is spiking with a green stem. I know lowii typically has a brownish stem. The first seedling had a typically colored stem. I looked in several books and found that only Guido Braem mentions that stems can be green. I wonder what the frequency of green stems is for this species. I have never see one before, and I think it must be somewhat unusual. Any comments?

Thanks,
Rick

Exciting!

How long does it take for a lowii to reach bloomin size?
I just got myself a seedling as well.

Here are the pictures:

lowiispike2.jpg

lowiispike1.jpg

Regarding the length of time it takes to bloom a seedling, it depends upon how well established the seedlings are. The two blooming this year were purchased last April. Leaves at that time were about ten inches long.

I seriously doubt that this plant is an alba. The dark marks at the ends of the bracts probably wouldn't be there. Actually, I don't think anyone has seen a true alba, though Phil Cribb has described a flavum. Still, this doesn't seem like a common variety considering its coloring.

Rick

Rick Barry said:
Actually, I don't think anyone has seen a true alba, though Phil Cribb has described a flavum. Still, this doesn't seem like a common variety considering its coloring.

Sam Tsui has a true album clone, which received a CBR last month. He has selfings of it available in flask as well.

Lien

I had a Paph Magic Lantern that had a green stem - which slowly turned red as the bud opened.

Lien,

I didn't know Sam Tsui has one. I'd love to see a photo!
This cross was made by The Orchid Exchange and sold by Matsui.
The tag simply says OX-1882 lowii sibling

Rick

Latest posts

Back