Paph lowii var album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gilda, I think your flower has great form... and judging from the photo it looks as if it has a pretty fair size, too?!

I think it's nice to know that the spots were present on the first described and naturally occuring examples of this colour form. Some might even find the spotting an added bonus from an aesthetic point of view (from some of his other comments, I could imagine, this was a stance, that 'Fibre', experienced grower and breeder here om STC, would tend to take)!

Kind regards,
Jens

Well said Jens! I think I agree with 'aureum' yellow than whitish 'albescent' for mine. I hope to get the green 'virescens' form in my other lowii ('Albino Beauty' x self) that is almost ready for its first bloom.

Hi, Leslie

I'm so envious of your beautifull aureum plant...I had one myself a couple of years ago, that was awarded with a BM on its first flowering... Sadly it was one of a couple of plants, that went to orchid heaven due to a mite infestion, that I first discovered (way too) late. Mr. Christiansen at Fredensborg was so kind to offer me his help nursing back to health, what he can of the remaining plants, that were infested.

I got an 'Albino Beauty' x self from Sam at the Dresden Easter Show this year, but at the moment the jury is out on whether it survives the stress of being transported back and forth barerooted!

Keep us posted on the development of your Albino Beauty! And may I enquire where you got your aureum bellissimum? (I would so love to replace my dearly loved departed one!)

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
Gilda, the form on your lowii is indeed very nice. Perhaps we can exchange pollen on their next blooming?

Jens, sorry to hear of your aureum. Do you have a pic of that BM blooming?

Fingers crossed for the adaptation and survival of the Dresden lowii. High humidity and warmth will help it to root.

I got my lowii aureum from the Japan Tokyo Dome show in February 2019, almost 4 months ago from a local Japanese vendor. The original was from Sam's breeding. There were 2-3 other lowii aureums there too but this one was the darkest one and the best shape. I was walking around on day 1 and noticed it high up on the shelf. Needless to say it was my dream plant (I have been ogling at random web pics for years and was on my list of top plants to locate there) and my first purchase of the show! It was shipped through the Canadian winter (minus 20C!) with other plants and survived the 2 week journey. It is now tucked safe in my growing area and rooting. Phew.

Any update on anyone’s albums? I almost lost mine when I saw the new growth centre leaf brown! So I sprinkled cinnamon spice on it and it stopped. Luckily the leaf is growing clean. Whew. But no blooms yet. Fingers crossed. Really just happy the plant is alive!!

I got an 'Albino Beauty' x self from Sam at the Dresden Easter Show this year, but at the moment the jury is out on whether it survives the stress of being transported back and forth barerooted!
Jens

Gilda’s
For several years now I have used a soluble mycorrhizae product with my Paphiopedilum. I’ve had great success with all of the Paphs shipped to the USA bare root... no matter where they’ve come from. I quit using it for about a year because I had developed a bumper crop of fungus gnats which I believed were feeding on the mycorrhizae. In that time period I slowly lost just about every bare root Paph I bought from overseas vendors. Since going back to using mycorrhizae for the last couple years I haven’t lost anything that came in bare root. The product I use is made by ‘Age Old Organics’. It has strains of both ‘endo’ and ‘Ecto’ mycorrhizae. Endo-mycorrhizae go into the root and the plants actually feed on them... I think this is very important for bare root plant survival .

Latest posts

Back