Paph. longipetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not what I am asking, (and yes I do have both, and no they are not the same, although longipetalum is more exclusively distinct). I am not disputing that this is longipetalum, but at the same time there are distinct sanguine stripes or striata on both the dorsal and petals, which would make it a striatum (striated) as well. All too often I see striatum being used to describe dots being arranged in a vague line. This arrangement of dots is frequently found in Concolor and does not just qualify it as a striatum. Striatum is not just the arrangement of dots, but an actual line. But to get away from that, what I am asking is, are the two mutually exclusive, ie can it only be one or the other, or can a flower/plant be both?

Your assumption, of course, is that the two haven't been crossed as this has traits from both longipetalum and striatum.
I would be interesting to hear what the variance of wide collected plants is like and whether they (longipetalum and striatum) share geographical overlap.

Your assumption, of course, is that the two haven't been crossed as this has traits from both longipetalum and striatum.
I would be interesting to hear what the variance of wide collected plants is like and whether they (longipetalum and striatum) share geographical overlap.

I got my original longipetalum around 6 years ago? My understanding at the time was that they came from a very limited and distinct geographical locality. And from the sister thread it does not appear to be near the striatum location. Does anyone else have any other info?

I got my original longipetalum around 6 years ago? My understanding at the time was that they came from a very limited and distinct geographical locality. And from the sister thread it does not appear to be near the striatum location. Does anyone else have any other info?

While digging around in Orchid Digest, the 1978 for fairrieanum answers I ran across an in depth study done on concolor varieties. Of course the variety longipetalum hadn't been discover then but there are area maps showing the locations of the other varieties. I could try to post something here if you would like. With Mr T's permission of course.

Latest posts

Back