Paph. longipetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely
When I first flowered one of these, I was told that it was a 'striatum', and then some time later by another 'expert' corrected to 'longipetalum'. Both varietal names have merit IMO, what do you think?

concolor v. longipetalum. - long petals, get it?
striatum has the dots forming stripes centrally on the petals but they have normal shape.
Thanks for sharing Mr. T, you can send it to me now. :p

concolor v. longipetalum. - long petals, get it?
striatum has the dots forming stripes centrally on the petals but they have normal shape.
Thanks for sharing Mr. T, you can send it to me now. :p

I realise the inference of 'longipetalum', what I am referring to is how the dots have fused to form distinct stripes as in 'striatum' (striped). How much more stiatum can you get than this? I realise that the petals are long at the same time, but why do the two terms need to be mutually exclusive? The reason why I ask the question is simply to highlight the features, and also because the person who first pointed it out to me was and is a moving force in the international paph community.:)

That is not what I am asking, (and yes I do have both, and no they are not the same, although longipetalum is more exclusively distinct). I am not disputing that this is longipetalum, but at the same time there are distinct sanguine stripes or striata on both the dorsal and petals, which would make it a striatum (striated) as well. All too often I see striatum being used to describe dots being arranged in a vague line. This arrangement of dots is frequently found in Concolor and does not just qualify it as a striatum. Striatum is not just the arrangement of dots, but an actual line. But to get away from that, what I am asking is, are the two mutually exclusive, ie can it only be one or the other, or can a flower/plant be both?

If the varieties were validly published, but the descriptions and type specimens do not make a clear distinction between them, then they should all be called by the first name published. If the distinction is clear then one plant can't be both varieties. If they weren't validly published then you can call them whatever you want and no one can say you're wrong. For what it is worth, in Paphiopedlium, second edition, Braem does not recognize either as a valid variety or form of Paph concolor.

Latest posts

Back