Josianae versus Longipetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presenting the best concolor I have… the variety longipetalum (Rolfe 1894):

DED30FD2-3CDF-45DF-B25E-0A2837E9BB2B.jpeg2426D272-34A0-4332-905D-FC3A5EC12E80.jpeg

Now, there were some discussions about the real accepted name and josienae ,
(Braem et al, 2004) was in the running.

However, based on current Kew POWO site, the longipetalum still stands as the accepted one and josianae relegated to synonym. For now lol.

Now, in my humble opinion as a keen observer in the taxonomy of plants, other than similar color, the horizontal form (petals) is not like the type concolor. Staminode is also different slightly. The distinct central petal stripe also is a dead giveaway. And one of the most important point is that it breeds true to this petal carriage. I propose it be renamed to josienae. Plant is still in Thailand that I’m hoping will self.

Ok, now the hard part! What shall I call it? Any name suggestions? Winner gets one of its future babies!

I love it and want it. I have avoided concolor waiting for this “form.”

I notice that you are spelling the new species “josiEnae,” whereas I have only seen it as josiANae; which is correct?

Reading this thread sometimes i wonder about borders about variety versus species, variety versus subspecies, species versus subspecies. IMHO josianae is subspecies.

I love it and want it. I have avoided concolor waiting for this “form.”

I notice that you are spelling the new species “josiEnae,” whereas I have only seen it as josiANae; which is correct?
Sorry the autocorrect has other ideas. It is spelled correct in title and some of the mentioning in my posts.

It is josianae with an A.

Reading this thread sometimes i wonder about borders about variety versus species, variety versus subspecies, species versus subspecies. IMHO josianae is subspecies.
The basic definition of a true species taxonomically is:

1. it occurs within a same geographical isolated populations
2. it has the same traits inherited genetically
3. produces fertile offsprings

Within this framework, can similar species like delenatii and vietnamense be separated? The key traits that separated them are almost minor. Vietnamense have no red in the staminode, round pouches (not oval) and their leaf edges are wavier. Other than that, these two and their hybrid HCM are so similar that many people mistaken them for each other at times, even experts.

Similar story with ecoclines of godefroyaes and leucochilums which are only separated by a white pouch!

So in this case of josianae, where even though the colors are similar to the concolor, the long horizontal petal trait is dominant (in selfings and sib crosses, as well as in hybrids for that matter), and that no concolor when bred through several generations can ever have such petal carriage, is this not warranted in the case for species rank?

I wonder.

Last edited:
Back