Paph. liemianum with 4 flowers open at once!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning flowers! I quite like the presentation. :)

Regarding the origin of this trait, if this is just a freak occurace, a conspiracy of chance environmental conditions and genes natural to the plant, it still means the genes allowed this trait to happen. Perhaps the flower spike, in development, was irritated by something... you still need a genetic programing that will allow the plant to respond as it has. There is a genetic basis for this trait.

Plants do not have germ-line cells like we do (i.e. sperm/ova which develop from cells dedicated from initial formation of the organism) so it quite possible, that if this is a somatic genetic mutation that occured in the cells that developed the inflorescence, that the genes for this trait could be saved by selfing this plant, of crossing it to a sibling.

I assume this plant has flowered several times before? Conspiracy or mutation, it would be well worth doing the cross and finding out.

I notice that both this liemianum and the chamberlainianum have pink spotted pouches. Many pictures I have seen have shown a solid pink pouch. Is this spottiness the product of growing conditions or genetics?

tt4n
-----------------------
Please ignore the above. It was before I had my morning coffee. I leave it here as witness against trusting my discombobulated mind. DrOrchid's analysis is, of course, correct.

Last edited:
Spotted once, spotted forever.

Thanks for the interesting facts on genetics!

I would never intend to recommend to breed for this trait to a serious, professional breeder. That'll be a project for somebody who has time and space to waste.

Cheers, Carsten

Well I was lucky enought to see it at the show and get a photo of it..... Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 16
..... I notice that both this liemianum and the chamberlainianum have pink spotted pouches. Many pictures I have seen have shown a solid pink pouch. Is this spottiness the product of growing conditions or genetics? ......
I found this any interesting question & am surprised no one has commented on it, so I'll open my big mouth!
Seeing my chamberlainanum & liemianum are both from OL, I don't find it unusual, they're probably related. Most of them that I've seen in person, don't have solid colored pouches. I would describe it as heavily spotted, fine spots that somewhat blend together. In a photo it may appear solid, depending on how closeup or away it was taken. Is this an accurate description or does anyone have solid pink pouches?

All the chamberlainianum's and liemianum's that I have seen, always have spots on the pouch. The only species that do not are Paph. victoria-mariae and Paph. primulinum.

Robert

Latest posts

Back