Paph. liemianum with 4 flowers open at once!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This liemianum has got a strange inflorescence. Instead of getting one flower per node, it is getting two flowers per node, resulting in 4 open flowers at the same time! Last time it bloomed it did not do it, so it is (unfortunately) not a stable trait. If anyone is going to the Chicago show, they can see this plant in person, as it will be on display.

PaphliemianumBigPouch3192009-2.jpg

PaphliemianumBigPouch3192009-1.jpg

PaphliemianumBigPouch3192009.jpg

Robert

That's crazy! (and very cool). I hope it can do this multiple times on this spike.

Give it lots of bone meal:poke::poke:

Yep, it is the Jungle Fertilizer. It looks like the spike is going to keep making 2 buds per node; there is a whole bunch of buds at the end of the spike!

Robert

That are fabulous flowers, actually. Great shape and colour.

Looks like inbreeding has its pros and cons (assuming you guys have been line-breeding this plant).
Not sure if I find that trait desirable to come thru in breeding. High flower count is fine, but the presentation of the flowers isn't so good.

That's an interesting plant, though, and if it were mine I might be tempted to breed with it, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for showing,

Cheers, Carsten

I think what has happened here is what is known as a simple form of "Fasciation" or "cristation" (although those are often extreme examples):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciation

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dictionary/Dictionary_C/dictionary_cristation.htm

Bascially instead of having a normal meristem at the end of the flower stem, it got two meristems that are growing next to each other, so it is bascially a Siamese twin with two flower stems that are merged together, resulting in a stem getting two flowers per node. This is usually not a genetic trait, and won't get inherited to the next generation. Next time this plant blooms, it probably will have a normal flower stem.

Robert

I'll be at the IOS show this weekend and can't wait to see it, thanks Robert...... Jim.

Latest posts

Back