Paph lawrenceanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I got this plant with bud some weeks ago at the Aachen orchid show!

sort of curious attachment on the backside of the bloom!!

here together with one of my callosums: the 2 look like being very close relatives! lawrenceanum on the right side!

do you think everything is correct with the naming of both :eek: ? Jean

I don't know how but I missed this thread when you posted Jean. The callosum to me is "callosum" and the lawrenceanum is "lawrenceanum". I see very clear differences between the two.

Looks real good Jean.

The differences between callosum and lawrencianum are not huge but consistent.

The main diff is the warts on both edges of the petals for lawarencianum. Only on the upper edge for callosum.

The staminode is subtely different.

Overall the dorsal is disproportionately larger and petals smaller for lawrencianum compared to callosum. Petals are normally held straight out for lawrencianum

Subtle but consistent differences in folliage pattern.

Once you see them together it's much easier to see the differences, but they definitely are kissing cousins (and throw in barbatum too to add to the confusion:evil:).

Looks real good Jean.

The differences between callosum and lawrencianum are not huge but consistent.

The main diff is the warts on both edges of the petals for lawarencianum. Only on the upper edge for callosum.

The staminode is subtely different.

Overall the dorsal is disproportionately larger and petals smaller for lawrencianum compared to callosum. Petals are normally held straight out for lawrencianum

Subtle but consistent differences in folliage pattern.

Once you see them together it's much easier to see the differences, but they definitely are kissing cousins (and throw in barbatum too to add to the confusion:evil:).

Thanks for the details Rick, and barbatum is why Rick H came to post into this thread again :):) => http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11773

Jean

Another interesting point that I would like to bring up is, Maudiae. Over the years of growing Paphs I've seen lots of Maudiaes (callosum X lawrenceianum) and don't recall ever confusing one as either of it's parents! Maybe back in the day when Maudiae was originally made there could of been confusion but not these days.

Back