Paph kolopakingii var topperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Well, it is Christmas morning here, so Merry Christmas to everyone. Just waiting for people to get out of bed so I can open my presents. :)

Well have all my Christmases come at once. After many, many years of growing, I have finally flowered my kolopakingii and here it is. I'm pretty rapt with it. This one originated from Sam TSui.

I shouldn't have to wait too long to see it flower again. The new growth is powering along. This species is a really fast grower once it gets going.

Paph kolopakingii var topperi ('Jeanie' AM/AOS x 'Andy')

Merry Christmas indeed. Nice one. I love kolopakingii and I have this variety. Im adding the regular colored one and the alba version next!

How wide is the leaf?

72 cm (28 inches). It is going to take up a lot of room when it matures.

Yes, they can fill a bushel basket.

I have a seedling pushing that size now, but only 3 (maybe 4) years out of flask. How long did this one take to get with it?

Merry Christmas indeed. Nice one. I love kolopakingii and I have this variety. Im adding the regular colored one and the alba version next!

How wide is the leaf?

You must have a lot of room. :)

The leaf is 10cm (4 inches) at its widest. They are certainly big chunky leaves.

Yes, they can fill a bushel basket.

I have a seedling pushing that size now, but only 3 (maybe 4) years out of flask. How long did this one take to get with it?

That sure is fast Rick. A lot faster than me. It was quite an advanced seedling when I got it but nowhere near flowering size. Maybe 2-3 years out of flask. I got it off P&R Orchids for $45. I would say it has taken me at least another 6 years to flower it. Like a lot of my plants it was growing slowly until 2-3 years ago where it took off.

Very beautiful, and a very good crisp photo.
Any photography tips?
kolo's get so big, I feel like you should hang Christmas ornaments on the spike like an X-mas tree.
Thanks for the photo!

Y Maybe 2-3 years out of flask. I got it off P&R Orchids for $45. I would say it has taken me at least another 6 years to flower it. Like a lot of my plants it was growing slowly until 2-3 years ago where it took off.

Let me revise that Rick. P&R Orchids were still going round when I bought this and they closed at the end of 2006. So lets say I got it off them a year earlier. That would make it a minimum of 8 and half years. The plant itself would be probably at least 11 years old.

I'm not surprised you are growing them so fast. In the right conditions this species is a rapid grower. It took me a long time to get those conditions right though.

Very beautiful, and a very good crisp photo.
Any photography tips?
kolo's get so big, I feel like you should hang Christmas ornaments on the spike like an X-mas tree.
Thanks for the photo!

Thanks John

I took a bit more effort than usual to photograph this one. Even pulled out the Nikon D800 instead of the usual D200. It was shot with the sharp Nikon 60mm macro lens.

Tips - for sharp photographs. Always use a tripod. I also used a shutter release cable and lock the mirror. The first photo was shot at F11 and the 2nd F14, to ensure everything was in focus.

These were all shot with natural light outside. I don't use flashes or lights. The big issue can be wind.

This species photographs best if you get well below the flowers and shoot upwards as the dorsal doesn't open up much. It is a challenge getting the black background in place though as it needs to be so high.

Stunningly beautiful plant and photos! I've never grown this species, but does it always have the stripy leaves (multiple lighter-colored veins)?

Let me revise that Rick. P&R Orchids were still going round when I bought this and they closed at the end of 2006. So lets say I got it off them a year earlier. That would make it a minimum of 8 and half years. The plant itself would be probably at least 11 years old.

I'm not surprised you are growing them so fast. In the right conditions this species is a rapid grower. It took me a long time to get those conditions right though.

I went back and checked my records too. It came out of flask in Feb 2008 so actually coming up on 6 years OOF:eek: But referring back to your comment on right conditions, the first 3 years were pretty much wasted, and this is one of the first paphs that got the basket treatment in Dec 2010. At the time it was maybe 5" tall with nubs for roots. It went wild when I started low K in 2011, and ended up passing a better sib that was still in a pot (since reset into basket, and catching up).

The original breeding was a ST collaboration with Tadd, who had pollen access to a monster Jo Levy clone 'Magnifico'. So I hope to see flowers this spring.

Stunningly beautiful plant and photos! I've never grown this species, but does it always have the stripy leaves (multiple lighter-colored veins)?

Yes, it is heavy veining. Given it is the only one I have I'm not sure how typical this is. It is generally heavier than most of my other multi's. My Bel Royals (kolo x roth) also have pretty heavy veining so maybe it is normal.

Latest posts

Back