Paph. insigne 'Harefield Hall'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This clone is currently in bloom. It is a pretty old clone, but to date I still think it is one of the best. Even though it is a known triploid, it does breed.

PaphinsigneHarefieldHall-close-1282.jpg

PaphinsigneHarefieldHall1282008.jpg

Robert

WOW!! Robert that is one awesome looking flower, I have a small P. insigne, hope it looks half as good as yours. Thanks jim.

Very nice. I recently bought a division of this clone. The leaves look identical to yours which makes me confident I got the real deal.

David

Your P. insigne 'Harefield Hall' looks great. It's nice to know that some others still grow P. insigne too. Mine is also in flower at the moment but it's more a common P. insigne regarding flower size and stance. I think I will show a photo here in a few days. All in all P. insigne doesn't deserve to be forgotten by Paphs growers.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Isn't there this huge thread about this particular clone somewhere... it's nice to see one which does look like the RHS award 'picture'

I love insigne.....mine almost 25 years old now. I've tried a few times to get Harefield Hall....it always bloomed out as a mediocre insigne. The real one is very hard to get. Take care, Eric

Harefield Hall is a superb plant - I have seen them quite big at times.

They seem to vary a lot but I'm not sure why. Yours looks great!

This one antique plant and she looks good for her age! This clone has been here in Houston but I've never seen it bloom:(

This clone is currently in bloom. It is a pretty old clone, but to date I still think it is one of the best. Even though it is a known triploid, it does breed.

Robert

Robert,

Out of curiosity, and if you know and don't feel the information is proprietary, how does it behave in breeding? That is, does it act like a 2N or a 4N? Or will it vary depending on the ploidy of what it's bred to?

charlie c

I have not bred with it too much, but I think when you breed with it you will get a mix of things, you can get diploids, triploids, tetraploids or aneuploids. but yes you are right the outcome will probably be different if you use a tetraploid or a diploid, if you use a tetraploid you offspring will tend to have a higher chromosome count (so you will end up with more tetraploids) versus if you cross it with a diploid (where you probably will end up with more diploids).

Robert

I have not bred with it too much, but I think when you breed with it you will get a mix of things, you can get diploids, triploids, tetraploids or aneuploids. but yes you are right the outcome will probably be different if you use a tetraploid or a diploid, if you use a tetraploid you offspring will tend to have a higher chromosome count (so you will end up with more tetraploids) versus if you cross it with a diploid (where you probably will end up with more diploids).

Robert

Robert,

Thank you.

charlie c

Latest posts

Back