Paph. Iantha Stage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphluvr

Reaction score
This is Paph. Iantha Stage (sukhakulii x roth. 'Tenny's' AM/AOS). The cross code on the tag is RX6561. It's taken me 8 yrs. to get it to this point but I think it was worth it. It was acquired from an EBay seller as a single growth rescue plant after a hurricane in Florida. The plant now consists of 4 mature growths and 5 new growths. The natural spread of the flower is 6.5". It also has gorgeous foliage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 141
A very well presented flower with appealing pouch colour, on what is obviously a well grown plant. I find the soft ivory tone of the dorsal and petals strikingly overlaid by the well defined markings to be particularly attractive. Congratulations.

that is a RARE flower indeed!!! love it. plant looks great too. i love growing this kind of cross just for the foliage, which is pretty much all i've ever gotten.

Ah, my dear Iantha, one of the crosses that sparked my major interest in Paphs some 15 years ago. A nice example, and it looks like you got one with the somewhat reasonable sized foliage as well as nicely marked. Others can be almost plain green Roth sized monsters with leaves that can barely support their own weight.

Ah, my dear Iantha, one of the crosses that sparked my major interest in Paphs some 15 years ago. A nice example, and it looks like you got one with the somewhat reasonable sized foliage as well as nicely marked. Others can be almost plain green Roth sized monsters with leaves that can barely support their own weight.
Yes, the larger leaves are about 12" x 2". I just wish it exhibited more of the rothschildianum influence in its bloom habit although, as I mentioned previously, this is the first time I've bloomed it.

Yes, the larger leaves are about 12" x 2". I just wish it exhibited more of the rothschildianum influence in its bloom habit although, as I mentioned previously, this is the first time I've bloomed it.

That's about the same size foliage as mine had way back when. The flowers looked perhaps a bit more suk than this, but it had 2 when I first got it, and 3 just over a year later. Is yours single flowered?

Paph. Iantha Stage. This is a stunning show-boat of a hybrid. One of those infamous hybrids, most of these are formidable plants with large, stocky foliage and big, colorful, and amazing flowers.

And look at the color on yours! Very nice, indeed. I hope now that it's mature, it will reward you with blooms more often. I've heard they can be difficult, a reputation of many roth hybrids. I feel like around here in a Southern climate they seem to be more willing bloomers. Then again, maybe my impression is just biased because I tend to remember the ones that bloom, and never notice, or fail to remember all the ones that weren't in bloom.

How do you grow it and what do you have it potted in?

Paph. Iantha Stage. This is a stunning show-boat of a hybrid. One of those infamous hybrids, most of these are formidable plants with large, stocky foliage and big, colorful, and amazing flowers.

And look at the color on yours! Very nice, indeed. I hope now that it's mature, it will reward you with blooms more often. I've heard they can be difficult, a reputation of many roth hybrids. I feel like around here in a Southern climate they seem to be more willing bloomers. Then again, maybe my impression is just biased because I tend to remember the ones that bloom, and never notice, or fail to remember all the ones that weren't in bloom.

How do you grow it and what do you have it potted in?
I grow all my orchids as house plants on bakers racks near south or south-east facing windows. They have to endure normal household conditions although I do provide supplemental humidity in winter.

I pot all my Paphs in azalea pots, preferably with both bottom and side drainage. They're potted in a mix of fine or fine and medium CHC, large sponge rock, silica sand and Leca with small additions of green sand, hoof and horn and blood meal. Watered once to twice/week using village well water (600+ ppm hardness) alternated with RO or rain water. Fertilized twice/month summer, once/month winter with a number of fertilizers, including MSU cal/mag when using RO.

This regimen may not work for everyone but it's what I've found works for my conditions.

I grow all my orchids as house plants on bakers racks near south or south-east facing windows. They have to endure normal household conditions although I do provide supplemental humidity in winter.

I pot all my Paphs in azalea pots, preferably with both bottom and side drainage. They're potted in a mix of fine or fine and medium CHC, large sponge rock, silica sand and Leca with small additions of green sand, hoof and horn and blood meal. Watered once to twice/week using village well water (600+ ppm hardness) alternated with RO or rain water. Fertilized twice/month summer, once/month winter with a number of fertilizers, including MSU cal/mag when using RO.

This regimen may not work for everyone but it's what I've found works for my conditions.

Good for you! In recent history, I haven't lived any place with windows that get enough light to support anything other than phals, so I've always grown under lights ... wish I had the windows though, it'd be less expensive.

i grow inside the house too, but under lights. the plants do fine but watering is a chore.
Justin, that's the way I used to grow too when I just started growing orchids and had more success and found it easier than my present conditions. I had one bedroom of the house that I used as my grow room. I think it was easier because I could control the light, air movement, temperature and humidity better than I can now.

I can appreciate the difficulty of watering when not growing in a greenhouse. I built my own benches out of redwood topped with hardware cloth. Along the inside edges I put teacup hangers and then hung a grommeted piece of plastic with a hole cut in the center. With the appropriate sag and a bucket placed beneath it I could catch most of the drainage after watering. Many trips to the bathroom to empty, however!

Paph lovr that is a great idea put a water catcher underneath slots with holes built for pots, I'm gonna move soon and am looking for a 2 or three bedroom place so I can dedicate a room for growing I just don't know if I should get a rising sun open window room or setting sun I've been collecting stuff so far shelving, hangers, humidifiers 3, window a.c. portable heater with a thermostat and am looking at lights fixtures for t-5 bulbs

Back