Paph vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time I have flowered this plant. The first time I flowered it was way back in 2013. It first flowered as single growth seedling. After it finished flowering, the plant just sat there with no new growths being created. After a few of years, I decided to put it in a basket which seemed to do the trick. It took three years but it finally put out a new lead. It has then taken a few years to mature and flower that growth. The plant is still a single growth so I may have to go through this whole process again. :)

Paph vietnamense('Kendolie' x 'Super Size')

vietnamemse%202019.jpg

vietnamemse%202019%202.jpg

I like it, David, the dark coloured pouch is particularley beautiful!

The plant looks really good and healthy, colouration is super and the flower dosn't look that floppy as other vietnamense do. The asymetrical look of the flower seems to be normal with vietnamense so don't hope that will improve with the next flowering. I like it very much and would be pleased if it was mine. Congrats for the culture, David.

Last edited:
What a beauty, David....such intense and deeply saturated colouring. Definately worth your while - the slight twist on the dorsal is like the flower giving you a wink or a salute for your effort! ;)

Kind regards, Jens

It took three years but it finally put out a new lead. It has then taken a few years to mature and flower that growth. The plant is still a single growth so I may have to go through this whole process again.
Nice but, this is so disappointing.
Please let us know how long the bloom lasts. Thanks for sharing.

The flowers are finished now. They lasted about 5 weeks.
5 weeks is definitely worth the effort in waiting. But even if it were 5 days ...... the nice thing is that we have good cameras to capture a heap of photos. Nicely preserved. My vietnamense is still rather small - been growing in pure quincan gravel for about half a year up here in NQ. Doing well though, which is good.

This is the 2nd time I have flowered this plant. The first time I flowered it was way back in 2013. It first flowered as single growth seedling. After it finished flowering, the plant just sat there with no new growths being created. After a few of years, I decided to put it in a basket which seemed to do the trick. It took three years but it finally put out a new lead. It has then taken a few years to mature and flower that growth. The plant is still a single growth so I may have to go through this whole process again. :)

Paph vietnamense('Kendolie' x 'Super Size')

vietnamemse%202019.jpg

vietnamemse%202019%202.jpg
Because of your plant above, I bought one!

Are those apostrophe names "variations" of vietnamense? ---- as in Paph. vietnamense ('Kendolie' x 'Super Size').

UPDATE: ok --- established that the apostrophe names are clonal names.

Last edited:
Such a dark lip and wonderful photography.
And sooooo patient you are!
My flower lasted only 2.5 weeks in warmth and bright light. Do you keep yours cooler and more humid?

My vietnamensis flowers last only abt 2 weeks as well. They are growing in hot conditions.
My major problem is regularely the rot of flowerbuds. Growth however is good, it brings 1-2 new growth a year.

Latest posts

Back