Paph. (Hsinying Mary x Hampshire Raven)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

Hi all, got this plant from Fresh Market 2 years ago, second bloom for me, last one was pathetic but this is nicer, deformed ventral though. Can't find Hsinying Mary though, anyone know what it is? Pretty standard type I know but I like it.

DSCF5990.jpg

DSCF5991-1-1.jpg

DSCF5997.jpg

DSCF5998.jpg

Forrest

I would guess your plant should be labeled Hsinying Maru x Hampshire Raven. Hsinying Maru is the closest spelling to Hsinying Mary, and would be an easy mistake.

I can give it a home if you can't stand to look at it anymore.

Nothing standard about this flower Forrest. The rose coloring is fantastic if this is the true color. Very unique, few maudiae types have this blended rose thoughout.

Nothing standard about this flower Forrest. The rose coloring is fantastic if this is the true color. Very unique, few maudiae types have this blended rose thoughout.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, color is true. The color, lack of any warts or spotting, and the wide petals are what makes this one special to me. I just doubted its specialhood 'cause I bought it at a grocery store, I guess fancy plants can come from fancy grocery stores.

Forrest

:clap: color is tops! and yes you can get lucky, if a plant is mass produced, it's outta there as soon as it's in spike!

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, color is true. The color, lack of any warts or spotting, and the wide petals are what makes this one special to me. I just doubted its specialhood 'cause I bought it at a grocery store, I guess fancy plants can come from fancy grocery stores.

Forrest

Depends on the supplier to the chain. I have always been disppointed in the plants that source from Gubblers. BUT I think most of the wholesalers are trying to put out good product.

I know Arnie Klehm, of Klehm Growers Inc. they wholesale to Home Depot, and some other chains. Arnie is an interesting character. He refuses to make junk for the chains. He breeds the best he can, and some is pretty good. He puts out some excellent Phals. Armie has been known to slip in expensive Paphs, such as rothschildianum or some good complex Paph seedlings into the $7 in bud wholesale batch of Phals, just to see if he could get a riot started in the middle of a Home Depot. :evil: He wants local growers to get into checking the Home Depot selves regularly. Check AQ, those recent awards to Klehm are his breeding stock and some of the wholesale seedlings he sells to the chains. With one of the parents being Hampshire Raven, the cross could have come from Arnie's breeding bench. Klehm is located in Hampshire, Illinois. Just because it came from a discount store, does not mean it was junk.

I guess I need to start shopping at Fresh Market!

they used to have bessae hybrids regularly too, but they (and anyone else in town who sells orchids) have scaled back their orchids dramatically (haven't seen anything but standard phals, dendrobiums, a few onc. Sweet Sugar types, and the occasional catt in a bag in a while), so much that I don't monitor anyone's orchid stock on a regular basis any more. Not enough quality orchid shoppers here in the midsouth to make it profitable for them I guess. I wish there were a good vendor close enough to make a day trip to.:(

Forrest

I would guess your plant should be labeled Hsinying Maru x Hampshire Raven. Hsinying Maru is the closest spelling to Hsinying Mary, and would be an easy mistake.

I can give it a home if you can't stand to look at it anymore.

I didn't mean to talk bad about it, I really love the plant. I looked up the few images of Hsinying Maru I could find and have no difficulty seeing that as one of the correct parents, but I'd like to see some more to be more confident. anyone have images? Just out of curiosity is a mislabled tag as good as a NOID? I'd love to change the tag to Hsinying Maru x Hampshire Raven but is that right, how could I be sure? Could I show it under that name? Could a nonregistered clonal name be put on a tag from a big grower? How could I get to the bottom of this?

Forrest

Latest posts

Back