Paph. Hsinying Majakun, how long do they last?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

daniella3d

Hi, Here is my first paph in bloom. I had a lot of problem with bud blasting since those orchids were all infested with mealy and spider mites. I treated them with floramite and imidaclophrid and bye bye bugs.

Now it's been in bloom for 9 weeks and still as fresh as day one. Just how long does these flowers last? I had no idea it would last that long, very cool!

paph1_zps5f6f1b50.jpg

These maudiae type hybrids have very long lasting bloom.
The average is about 2-3 months. Some season, the same plant might only have flowers that last for only one month, but generally, they last for a very long time.

By the way, glad that you got the bug problems under control.

I guess the conditions how it is cultured may influence how long the bloom last? that could explain why in some season it does not last that long?

I was disapointed that it was only producing one flower but I liked it's foliage. Now it's ok if it has only one flower if it last that long. The foliage is very beautiful and the flower is quite large.

I use MSU fertilizer weakly weakly, but I have not used any fertilizer since it's in bloom because I was afraid that it would terminate the flower.

Plants do strange things I guess.
I've only had two plants that had a flower that last for only one months only once, but they always have flowers that last for about three months.
Culture was always the same.

I love this kind of paph and they have wonderful leaves to look at! :)
Fertilizers won't blast flowers. I read that if the flower is pollinated, then the flower will die off quickly. So far, never happened for me.

For this plant to have multiple flowers at a time, you would have to wait many years and then see if it want to make multiple growths at the same time.
Some do and some (or many ) do not.
I have one that I've had for many years. It makes new growths all the time but only one or two at most at a time, so the whole thing is a nice clump but made of old bloomed fans. I do get flowers about 3 times a year, mostly one at a time or two at most, but I have to accept that that's the most I will get.

Then I had two plants of the similar cross (maudiae type alba like yours) that became a huge clump in just two years with many flowers at a time.
So I think it's up to the plant.

oh ok, thanks for the info. I am just happy that I have a flower. Now if only my philippinensis would bloom! :)

You're welcome.
I would love to have philippinense, but none yet. :)
You might want to up the light?
A wild plant hunter told me that almost all the plants of philippinense collected from the wild had rather yellowish leaves.

This hybrid has yielded some rather nice clones, some with some very chunky segments and good tall stems. I enjoy the foliage almost as much as the blooms. The attractive foliage, long lasting blooms and ease of culture make these hard to beat.

Absolutely love the foliage on this one. :smitten: Has it been infested with various pests? I really can't tell because it looks so healthy and well grown. :D

Oh, I have a Paph. wardii that has been flowering for 7 weeks now. I repotted it last week because I got tired of waiting for the flower to wilt.

It's the old growth that was affected. It's behind the plant so you don't see it. The new growths are all shiny and healthy without any traces of insect dammage. the flower come from one of the new shoots and it has at least 4 new one.

These orchids seem to grow quite fast and produce many new shoots, so I am guessing it won't take long before I have a large amount of them and more than one flower spike.

Absolutely love the foliage on this one. :smitten: Has it been infested with various pests? I really can't tell because it looks so healthy and well grown. :D

Oh, I have a Paph. wardii that has been flowering for 7 weeks now. I repotted it last week because I got tired of waiting for the flower to wilt.

It's the old growth that was affected. It's behind the plant so you don't see it. The new growths are all shiny and healthy without any traces of insect dammage. the flower come from one of the new shoots and it has at least 4 new one.

These orchids seem to grow quite fast and produce many new shoots, so I am guessing it won't take long before I have a large amount of them and more than one flower spike.
Wow, it must really like your care to grow that fast. You're doing something right apparently. :)

If it keeps it up, you should have a specimen plant within no time.

Latest posts

Back