Paph hookerae(s)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Rick!one of my favourite.Are they notorously single frowth? I have 4 specimens, 3 of them are in bud now, they are single growth for many years.4th one is not in bud now but started to clump.Keep us posted.Best reg. Istvan

The 3rd plant, Dunja x self, is breaking a new lead as it buds up. I find its cousin, volonteanum does the same thing, blooms before it breaks a new growth.

Looks pretty good and promising. Very soon we will see here two flowers. alone the foliage of these plants is an eye catcher.

The 3rd plant, Dunja x self, is breaking a new lead as it buds up. I find its cousin, volonteanum does the same thing, blooms before it breaks a new growth.
Looks like the lighter leaf one might be the true hookerae and the rest like mine (with maroon flush on leaves) might be the volonteanum. Waiting in anticipation here... 3 more weeks and counting!

Looks like the lighter leaf one might be the true hookerae and the rest like mine (with maroon flush on leaves) might be the volonteanum. Waiting in anticipation here... 3 more weeks and counting!
Or the flushed leaf one are hybrids between volentianum & hookerae. I hate those types of crosses.

Here is a volentianum from 2015 I got awarded back then. The dorsal does a little reflex but one of the more distinctive features is the restriction around the opening of the pouch. Where hookerae does it less or not at all. I will also include a hookerae a friend of mine flowered in 2017IMG_7735.JPG 20170612_171607.jpeg

I’ve been thinking volonteanum has thinner, more silvery, pointier leaves? Only place I’ve laid eyes on them is Sam’s and that’s my impression of his sets of plants: hookerae proper had rounder, fatter leaves; volonteanum leaves more markedly silver and more lanceolate. Or is that just my mistaken nonsense impression based off one display?

Both flowers nice SK.

BT, your observations are also justifiable because that does occur for the leave differences (esp in the early days). The unfortunate part is that both are bred together so often that it’s blurred. You will get some hookeraes with red tinge under leaves these days.

That plant on the Palmer site looks yellow green with dark green tessellations. The ones here (and mine) are grey green with dark green tessellations. The verdict is still up in the air lol.

As an AOS judge/member should be able to look up the clone Malingham. I feel positive it is a hookerae the other parent maybe in question.

Back