Paph helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The first two clones of helenae are from one of the first flask's I ever bought. It was a bit of a disaster. All but 4 or 5 plants died of bacterial rot within 24 hours. The survivors grew slowly and have finally flowered 6 years later (just like my henryanum). This is from the Taiwanese cross 'Dennis' x 'Lucky' which is the same cross that Jim posted a few weeks back at this link -

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29407

I was excited by that photo but alas mine turned out nowhere near as good. The last two photos are of my helenae 'Red Nose' clone which is real nice.

'Dennis' x 'Lucky' Seedling one

'Dennis' x 'Lucky' Seedling 2

Paph helenae 'Red Nose'

6 years?! Seems a long time to wait for these little guys to bloom. :/

I like 'Red Nose' the best. :)

A little pale in comparision to many others out there. I'm sure you will find a good home for them! Rudolph is my favorite!

The last one is unique due to the lack of white halo on the dorsal. However, I like the first one. I like my helenae rubenesque.

I also like the last ruddy one. My guess from all the posts is this is a tricky/slow one to grow and flower?

this is a tricky/slow one to grow and flower?

VERY VERY slow for me too (although I find henryanum even worse).

David: congrats for those flowers. Here in Spain we´ll have to wait some months to get the first flowers of this cute but insufferable species.

Very nice David, I love this species. I have a seedling mounted on treefern which is just about to open its first flower too:clap: It has grown better than its potted sibling. I think these may like lots of air around their roots and a good dry out from time to time.

Very nice David, I love this species. I have a seedling mounted on treefern which is just about to open its first flower too:clap: It has grown better than its potted sibling. I think these may like lots of air around their roots and a good dry out from time to time.

That is a very interesting observation. I cant wait to see the post, hopefully with close-ups of the mount and roots?

It could be partly due to the color balance of the photos, but there is a pretty big difference in coloration between yours and Jim's! There could be quite a bit of environmental influence on the phenotypic variation.

WOW. An epiphyte. I noticed my plants doing better with a coarser mix. Like a lot of my plants, the helenae's have really picked up in the last two years.

It could be partly due to the color balance of the photos, but there is a pretty big difference in coloration between yours and Jim's! There could be quite a bit of environmental influence on the phenotypic variation.

Jim sure lives in a warmer climate. :)

Back