Paph. helenae 'Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Love this one! Moved it to a 6" net pot last summer. 'Seems to be loving it, as are all my other Paphs that I put into net pots. Dorsal sepal is 4cm wide and petals are 1.5cm wide.
30742090954_4fe07c7c46_b.jpg

Last edited:
Your helenae 'Charlie' is my favorite helenae! What a beautiful flower! And I like its stiff looking leaves too. Btw, how long are the leaves?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, it's looking a little dwarfed; but, I intend to let it grow into a specimen and I also intend to plant the top and sides of the pot with a very tiny-leaved Selaginella. So, eventually, it will look like a hanging ball of emerald green moss with a crown of leaves and flowers at the top.

Yes, the leaves are very "hard" and short. I will measure them tomorrow and let you know.

I posted it over at the Orchid Source Forum and then used that URL to post it here. However, I now see that the OSF is down. I get a message that my browser can't find that website. 'Must be problems over there. Hopefully, it'll be fixed soon. If not, I'll repost the photo in a day or so, using photobucket.

I can see, I can see!!! :)

Super cute!
It looks as if one big flower is dropped on top of seedling compot.
Is that a multiple growth plant?

Odd that some people can see the photo and some can't. The Orchid Source Forum is down right now. Brian (owner), has been e-mailed. So, hopefully he'll get the site up and running again very soon. If not, I'll try to get my photo uploaded to Photobucket (I have a LOT of trouble) and repost it here.

Thanks for being interested. Photo coming back soon, one way or the other.

Hopefully photo issue resolved soon.
Back to the plant, with the basket I presume you grow in a greenhouse and water frequently?

Yes. I grow in a greenhouse and water on most sunny days. Although, I have come to the conclusion that I (and most other people), tend to keep their Paphs too wet. The term "terrestrial" is not really accurate. Most Paphs are semi-terrestrial or lithophytic. To my knowledge, none are true terrestrials in the same way that a Cypripedium is terrestrial.

So, in nature, some do dry out completely inbetween each watering, at least, at some times of year and the others that grow where they stay moist at the roots, also get LOADS of air because their root systems are very shallow, growing in the loose leaf litter and debris, not burried deep down in the soil.

So, I've found that overpotting in a net pot, using a fairly fine mix, offers the plants the best of conditions. The humidity and my watering frequency offers enough moisture without it being too wet and the net pot allows for loads of air to reach the roots from all sides.

Happypaphy: Yes, it's a multigrowth plant, not a compot.

¿no photo?
Read the above posts.

Update:I tried to get Photobucket to open. It won't. So, I've sent a copy of the photo to Spaph and asked him to post it somewhere and then send me the link. Then, I'll use that URL to make the photo reappear in my opening post in this thread. Stay tuned......Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back