Paph haynaldianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Both my haynaldianum's flowered this season. I am rapt to get four flowers on the first one. I have been growing this plant for 15 years and I have only ever got two or three flowers previously. It is quite a compact plant too. I like the form on this one. This plant has really improved since I put it in a basket.

haynaldianum%202018%202.jpg

haynaldianum%202018.jpg

The leaves are much bigger on this clone. The spike is taller too although only two flowers. I have had trouble flowering this one. I put it in a basket last year and the plant seems to have done better as a result. I'm hopeful I will get more flowers next time.

haynaldianum%20qld%202.jpg

haynaldianum%20qld.jpg

David, what a graet display and both are lovely....but if I had to chose I vote for the first one. Though the colouration is less intense than that of the second one its flower is 'fuller' and has a better stance and...that makes the difference in my eyes. Not to forget - as always your excellent photos picture them so well.

Last edited:
David, what a graet display and both are lovely....but if I had to chose I vote for the first one. Though the colouration is less intense than that of the second one its flower is 'fuller' and has a better stance and...that makes the difference in my eyes. Not to forget - as always your excellent photos picture them so well.

I agree. The second one does have a better and brighter colour and a much taller spike, but the first one is a much better flower overall.

I like the first.
Ill be interested to see how the new generation with 'vini' dorsals look.

Yes, the next generation of haynaldianum's will be far superior. I wish I had one or two. I have a flask of Houghtoniae which has the vini haynaldianum as one of the parents. They should be super. Growing really well too.

I like both, but the first is GREAT!. I did not know they could have that many flowers. Mine only blooms with two. Nice photo too. Mike

Yes, the old clones seem to mostly have 2 or 3 flowers. But the vini clones from Sam that Stephen is talking about had 6 flowers on a first flowering seedling. So the newer clones should have a much higher flower count.

Has this been bred with a good lowii for Toni Semple?

No. I haven't got a good lowii although I have two seedlings of 'Grand Masterpiece' growing well.

Nice, thanks for sharing. What's your mix in the baskets?

Both are in straight Orchiata bark. The first one is in a 14 cm basket with 9-12 mm bark. The 2nd one is in a 20cm basket with 12-18 mm bark in the bottom half and 9-12 in the top half.

Wow! Love #1

I have a whole flat of plants from one of Sam's flasks...I think one is ready to flower this spring. Great species and faster growing than lowii.

I think my seeling might finally bloom next year.
It has been out of flask about 3 years now, and it did some major growing up last one year.
Each leaf is now about 20cm long.
I hope mine will be rather a compact clone. time will tell.

Your first one is very pretty. The "old age" might be helping with the extra high flower count this time around? :)

Has the plant clump up in the last 15 years? or has it been two three growths at a time?

I think my seeling might finally bloom next year.
It has been out of flask about 3 years now, and it did some major growing up last one year.
Each leaf is now about 20cm long.
I hope mine will be rather a compact clone. time will tell.

Your first one is very pretty. The "old age" might be helping with the extra high flower count this time around? :)

Has the plant clump up in the last 15 years? or has it been two three growths at a time?

That is pretty good growing.

No, the plant has remained at 2-3 growths the whole time. Each growth has only ever produced one new lead. The plant is growing better, so it will be interesting to see if it puts out more new leads in the future.

Latest posts

Back