Paph. haynaldianum var. laurae?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
I bought this plant 3 years ago from Wanchao Orchid nursery Taiwan and Mr. Chan said that it is a selfing of a forest plant many years ago. It is the second time for flowering in front of me. I doubt it is an ordinary haynaldianum but when I compare with the photo labeled as laurae variation, it has a sight different to me but I cannot tell in words.

I would like to seek the advices from the group mates whether it’s a laurae variation or not.

Thank you for the advices and enlightenment.

Attachments

• C499CC1D-7F6A-4105-A6AD-D9552EA2B522.jpeg
    C499CC1D-7F6A-4105-A6AD-D9552EA2B522.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1
Mmh, doesnt look like the typical laurae which i know on the first look. How long has it opened?
But i am Like you, hard to Tell what makes the difference.

Mmh, doesnt look like the typical laurae which i know on the first look. How long has it opened?
But i am Like you, hard to Tell what makes the difference.
It just opens today. Not a typical haynaldianum obviously but also unlike a laurae.

I heard and saw a picture of a Mindoro type of this species. This one looks really like it, especially that almost pointed petals. If it is, that's very special. I have started tracking this type in that island. It might not be there anymore. Good to know where you bought this.

Doing a Google search this could be laurae. Diminished spotting of the dorsal is obvious difference between a standard and laurae form.

I heard and saw a picture of a Mindoro type of this species. This one looks really like it, especially that almost pointed petals. If it is, that's very special. I have started tracking this type in that island. It might not be there anymore. Good to know where you bought this.
This was my second thoughts!

Yeah, I can locate a photo of Mindoro type haynaldianum through google and the flower looks like similar to mine!

See through the following link:

https://www.paphs.de/en/blog/paph-haynaldianum-mindoro-2

... the flower fully opened .
It doesn't have the greenish colouring of the staminodal shield, that was such a characteristic feature of the flower of the mindanao type in the link, you provided us with.
The conondrum continues! Maybe your flower simply illustrates the great varity within this species (cf. P. gratrixianum)

this link could also be useful: link to Dr.Tanaka's Paph site
"this new variety have a shorter inflorescence 25~35cm long and the petals are downswept almost paralel along the sides of the pouch. The spotting near the base of the dosal sepal are either reduced or absent. The pouch and the base color of the dosal sepal and petals are yellow bronze to orange-tan in color."

Latest posts

Back