Paph Harumi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
I've waited a long time for this one ! :clap: One petal was "stuck" and created a wrinkle, but I think it's a good one !!
DSCI0392.jpg

Boy isn't that an interesting shape. Looks like an albino spic and lowii had a head on collision. Very cool.:wink:

It looks like they crossed album versions of the parents or you just lucked out? I like it. Mine was pretty funky when it first bloomed and I guess lots of this cross get chucked because of genetic faults.

I just checked on the RHS site. It's haynaldianum x delenatii. Does delenatii tend to wash out colours? I don't know then, if albums were used then, but it sure looks like it.

Gilda, it's a division then, of a plant someone gave the clonal name 'Virginia Pearl'. Only the cross is registered, not the clone. And the clone wouldn't show up in an awards database unless it was awarded.

It's too bad the parents weren't notated on the tag.

Gilda, it's a division then, of a plant someone gave the clonal name 'Virginia Pearl'. Only the cross is registered, not the clone. And the clone wouldn't show up in an awards database unless it was awarded.

It's too bad the parents weren't notated on the tag.

Thanks Candace for the info...I always get that mixed up :eek:

There were a lot of Harumi 'alba' around a few years ago. I'm not sure I've ever seen a normal colored one in person, but you can find a pic on ladyslipper.com. The haynaldianum used here was definitely an unpigmented form. Delenatii color supression alone doesn't account for this one

Good choice in buying a div. Gilda. I tend to stay away from these "far out" crosses because the vast majority of the offspring are dogs. Although this clone may never be granted a flower quality award, it's well worth having to give interest to your growing space!! Beautifully done Gilda!

Great flower! Maybe not the best shape but I'd be interested to see what it looks like on the next flowering. A soft white multifloral is certainly a nice addition to have.

I just checked on the RHS site. It's haynaldianum x delenatii. Does delenatii tend to wash out colours? I don't know then, if albums were used then, but it sure looks like it.

From two Paph Forums ago in Washington, Jason Fischer spoke and I think I remember him saying that delenatii does have "color blocking genes" that are dominate over the colors in many species. But so does armeniacum, and that is why Armeni White is often whiteish...

I believe delenatii, like schlimii, often results in xanthic crosses. Gilda, when you get sick of that plant, [although I can't see the photo of the whole plant so I'm not sure this isn't just some paper flower! :rolleyes:], you know I'll want it. Good job, thanx for posting!

I Gilda, when you get sick of that plant, [although I can't see the photo of the whole plant so I'm not sure this isn't just some paper flower! :rolleyes:

Hey guy - use your glases and you will see hairy stems - these can't be paper flowers :D
Interesting cross and the influence of haynaldianum is highly visible, thanks for posting.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Back