Paph Guess Who?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty ticked off about this. I paid big bucks for a seedling of this plant maybe 6 or 7 years ago. The seller is long gone and it's been taking up a large amount of bench space over the years. It's over 2 ft wide leaf span and I lost count at 7 growths. I spiked probably 2 years ago, but it either blasted, I didn't notice it, or it bloomed while I was on vacation. So, this it the first blooming I've seen. I'm not going to say just yet, what's on the label as to not influence guesses of the cross. But, I think the label is wrong and I'm not a happy camper after all the time and energy I've put into growing it out!

What are your guesses?

fullshot.jpg

1sideview.jpg

leaves.jpg

guesswho.jpg

O.K. I'll tell what the tag says. I bought it as a rare, primary cross of curtisii x sanderianum.:mad: And I didn't even bother taking a decent photo. Especially since I'm about ready to put it in a salad shooter.

Ohh gosh I know the feeling when this happens.

I am sorry to hear about this. It's not worh the bench space at all.

Christian

Looks like a Vanguard-type, as other's have said. But I would think that the foliage is a dead giveaway that its not a curtisii cross. Eric

"But I would think that the foliage is a dead giveaway that its not a curtisii cross. Eric"

I agree with Eric M. The foliage is clearly not right. I figured out the sanderianum part before you told us. However, I'd say the other parent is likely chamberlainianum....who knows really. Sorry Candace, you've got yourself a dud.

:sob: Bummer! All that time & space. :( My first guess was Transvaal, if so, not even a good one at that. :sob:

Sorry Candace, you've got yourself a dud.
Yeah and I should have gotten rid of it years ago based on the foliage alone. I know better. There's a society fundraiser/auction tonight. New folks don't care about names that much. Especially if it's in bloom. I think it's going on a car trip.

:clap: Good idea! Just because it's not your cup of tea (or ours) doesn't mean someone else won't love it!

But before you dump it on un-suspecting new members, please remove the original tag and label it as a No ID, likely a Transvaal or Vanguard.

Don't let some poor beginner think they have a plant with sanderianum in it, or they will incorrectly think it is worth something ;)

you don't want the error spreading.

tip off that there was a problem was the word RARE in the plant description.

But before you dump it on un-suspecting new members, please remove the original tag and label it as a No ID, likely a Transvaal or Vanguard.

Yes, I wouldn't pass along the error. I've got a Vanguard and the leaves are totally different. I imagine it's a Transvaal or a hydrid with Transvaal. And like Rose said, not even a good one:<

yeah, at least it's a compact plant and should be easy to get rid of! :poke:
Yeah and I should have gotten rid of it years ago based on the foliage alone. I know better. There's a society fundraiser/auction tonight. New folks don't care about names that much. Especially if it's in bloom. I think it's going on a car trip.

Well, it found a new home. I think it went for like $10. Definately a bargain considering I spent over $75 for it as a seedling-probably over $100, and grew it up for 7 years. I brought home a few plants, myself. <crossing fingers the labels are correct>

But they don't want to be sold junk either. Is interest in orchid growing well served if we pass along some dud to an unsuspecting "new folk"? I am disappointed that a member of this forum would even contemplate such action. Candace these are harsh words but as a "new folk" I hope you understand where I am coming from. We may not want to spend hundreds of dollars on some exotic orchid but we want to be treated with consideration and fairness. So I hope you make clear that it is a second (or third or forth) rate orchid before you sell it to some "new folk."

No hard feelings, I hope. This is just the way I feel.

Ed - what would make this plant junk? second, third or fourth rate? I think there's a little misunderstanding here. If one saw this plant at a big box store would it be junk? What percentage of the plants produced make it to the show table? What percentage of plants purchased are used for breeding? Is it a well grown plant? We can be picky & sometimes overcritical. It was disappointing to Candace & the most of us because it was not labeled correctly. Add to that the money out of pocket, the time & space invested in the plant = big bummer. Remember - we're enablers, as well as a shoulder to cry on. As I stated & others, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also stated if it is a Transvaal, it's not a good one at that. This is a first time bloom, I might have to eat those words on the next blooming! It's only my opinion, some may agree, others may disagree. That's OK! I don't buy a plant because I think people on this forum will like it, I buy it because I like it or I think I might like the outcome of this X, which is sometimes a crapshoot. All of us like bargains, this was a bargain for someone to pay $10! (NoID or not).
:(I hope 'no hard feelings' goes both ways, as that is not the intent here.

$10 for an in-bloom multifloral paph is a great price, even if its a noid and less than perfect....I might have even considered it myself if I saw it in a store at that price. There was nothing wrong with that paph for someone who wasn't expecting something better. It just isn't what it was supposed to be...and for someone who isn't aware of that, or who cares about that, its a perfectly decent paph. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back