Paph godefroyae MegaThread?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one godefroyae in bloom, plus three more just opening and three or four more in low bud. They are from many different sources. For comparison, I am planning to try to put them into this same thread.

This first one, Paph godefroyae var. leucochilum, does not have great flowers (the petals reflex after a week or so), but I keep it because it is very vigorous and I love the foliage.

PaphgodfroyaevarleucochilumNA1.jpg

PaphgodfroyaevarleucochilumNA1pla.jpg

Paphgodfroyaevarleucochilumleaf.jpg

Gosh, that's one seriously gorgeous plant. I'd love to know more about how you grow it :)

Heather, I got a leucochilum from Orchid Inn but its leaves are no where near as beautiful.

I may really want one of those. Any great vendor recommendations? I've never really followed the availability of the brachys.

This one came from a vendor no longer in business. Two of the next to bloom came from Orchids by the Ackers last fall. I'm not sure what their new name is. Perhaps Mark or someone else can help. Three more in bud came from Krull-Smith. I had a friend purchase them for me at the WOC. They also got me one from In-Charm Orchids that may be a year away from blooming. Another one in bud came from Fox Valley several years ago. I also have a few survivors from a flask from Orchid Inn. None have bloomed, yet, but they are getting big enough.:)

My recommendation is to get as mature a plant as possible. This is one species that so far I've struggled with more than my other brachy's, so mature or near mature plants have done much better for me.

Ross, how do you grow it?

Elena and Heather, I grow them in small pots in either my fine CHC mix or a fine bark mix. So far, both are working OK. The important point as with all Brachy's is to make sure the mix dries out between waterings a little more than my other Paphs. They are grown in the home, under florescent lights, so the humidity is not ideal. Under more humid conditions, I suspect my finer mixes might not dry out as quick. An interesting note on mixes: the Krull-Smith plants came in fine mix that resembled peat or coconut coir and perlite. They had the heathiest, most extensive root systems I've seen. So just like many other questions of this sort, there is no one ideal solution. Experiment and observe.

Elena, all my other godefroyaes have much darker leaves. That's why I've kept it in spite of its lesser flower quality. Who knows, maybe it isn't even godefroyae. Perhaps someone with taxonomic experience can give an opinion. I am willing to take more pictures if necessary.

Ross, by the pouch it looks to be leucochilum but could it be P. ang-thong / Greyi.
The shape and positioning of the petals fits as well. The leaf markings being somewhat different may indicate this also.

Elena and Heather, I grow them in small pots in either my fine CHC mix or a fine bark mix. So far, both are working OK. The important point as with all Brachy's is to make sure the mix dries out between waterings a little more than my other Paphs. They are grown in the home, under florescent lights, so the humidity is not ideal. Under more humid conditions, I suspect my finer mixes might not dry out as quick. An interesting note on mixes: the Krull-Smith plants came in fine mix that resembled peat or coconut coir and perlite. They had the heathiest, most extensive root systems I've seen. So just like many other questions of this sort, there is no one ideal solution. Experiment and observe.

Thanks Ross, If I got one it would likely be one of K-S's.

Temperature?

Here are the next two to bloom. Both came from the greenhouse formerly known as Orchids by the Ackers. The parents are listed as ('MU 83' x 'MU 107'). The background color is more of a cream/yellow color and the spotting varies from fine to large, but the overall form especially of '#2' is nice.

Paph godefroyae ('MU 83' x 'MU 107') '#1'
PaphgodefroyaeMU83xMU1071.jpg

Paph godefroyae ('MU 83' x 'MU 107') '#2'
PaphgodefroyaeMU83xMU1072.jpg

Both together
PaphgodefroyaeMU83xMU107comp.jpg

I'd like to invite others to add pictures of their godefroyaes and leucochilums as they bloom.:)

Ross, by the pouch it looks to be leucochilum but could it be P. ang-thong / Greyi.
The shape and positioning of the petals fits as well. The leaf markings being somewhat different may indicate this also.

Ross, I think your first plant may be angthong. The leaf pattern resmebles mine:
angthong.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a flower pic for comparison...

Latest posts

Back