Paph fairrieanum var. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ernie,

The proper name would be Paph fairrieanum forma bohlmannianum (Matho) Braem, to indicate whose concept you personally accept as valid. That's not to imply that this is necessary the unanimous opinion of all taxonomists, but simply the opinion of the writer.
Regards,
Rick

Yep, you have it down to the authors. Good job. Some folks (like fish taxonomists) even include the publication year in the name. As far as I know, Paph. fairrieanum (fma/var) album was never properly published as a valid combination (please correct me if I'm wrong!), so fma. bohlmannianum is our only "real" choice. You are 100% right that most folks wouldn't recognize bohlmannianum as the "best available name" for the albino verison of the species, that's why I threw it out there- to expose our fellow Paph nuts to the name. We commonly add fma. flavum to our primulinum tags just so folks know it will be green/white/yellow (since the albino form was the type for that species, it goes without saying that if it is not specified, it will be albino), so I understand the idea of getting the point across. Shoot, whatever you want to call it, keep up the good growing!

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back