Paph fairrieanum var. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
A couple shots of the second set of blooms on my fairrieanum album this year. This makes a total of 7 flowers for the year. Not necessarily award quality flowers, but easily the most vigorous fairrieanum I've had, coloratum or album.

Group shot:
fairralb7.jpg

The last to open, unusually modest for a plant that normally has no bones about exposing its privates. The rest of the flowers exhibit the typical, slutty look.

fairralb6.jpg

Regards,
Rick

Fantastic display! Haha...the last flower reminds me of a Marilyn Monroe pose...;):rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Attachments

• Marilyn Monroe joan1.JPG
    Marilyn Monroe joan1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! And, once again, forgive my friendly correction, but this is properly known as Paph. fairrieanum fma. bohlmannianum. Sorry for spreading the taxonomic love! Just can't help it.

-Ernie

Wow impressive. I have not seen a cluster that large before.....

Yuck Ernie..... Next thing you know we won'y be able to use BL, BLC, SL, SLC, etc....

Naaaa. That'll never happen. The Cattleya alliance is as stable as.... errr.

-Ernie

That's a real great display and it proves that the plant likes the conditions you grow it under. Perhaps next year we will see 7 blooms on one stroke!! :drool:

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Hi Ernie,

The proper name would be Paph fairrieanum forma bohlmannianum (Matho) Braem, to indicate whose concept you personally accept as valid. That's not to imply that this is necessary the unanimous opinion of all taxonomists, but simply the opinion of the writer.

I take a practical approach to the issue. The epithet 'album' is used here and elsewhere simply to indicate the albinistic (rather than coloratum) type. Whether or not this is taxonomically correct is perhaps debatable, but there is very little doubt what it means when applied to a Paph species. The suffix 'forma bohlmannianum' has far less meaning to the majority of Paph growers, and so is less helpful in communicating the characteristic qualities which set this plant apart from the typical coloratum form.

Regards,
Rick

Back