Paph fairrieanum fma. bohlmannianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is its second blooming, very similar to the first.

Paphfairrieanumalba1-1.jpg

Paphfairrieanumalba1plant.jpg

This is such a dainty flower. How can I get one to Cape Town.
Vey nice flower and picture

Excellent - makes me want one
As easy to grow as the normal form?

may I suggest Black cloth?

Man, I love this species. At one time I tried to collect as many clones of this as my wallet could aford. Of course I was young and dumb! I had no idea they grew so poorly here in Houston. That was 20 yrs ago......last month I bought 3 more:confused: What was I think'in?!? That's my hard headedness kicking in again:D You people need to help me out, in growing them and not taking them off my hands, I mean!
Give up your secrets pretty please!

:clap: I, too, am a fan of this species! I thought, Ross what are you doing, it's blooming already? I checked on mine & by gosh the flower stem is a good 6"! :eek::rollhappy:
Excellent - makes me want one
As easy to grow as the normal form?
may I suggest Black cloth?

Man, I love this species....... You people need to help me out, in growing them and not taking them off my hands, I mean! Give up your secrets pretty please!

I find them easy to grow, infact my alba is a better grower than the regular!
I have a GH, they're on the bottom shelf & get morning sun. My furnace kicks on at 50 so as long as night time temps are above it, the door & vents are open. Humidity is pretty consistent at 60-65% & good air movement.
I would guess that Texas is just too warm for this species to be happy? :(

I like the blue cloth! There's something about it, I think they photograph better than with a black background.

Man, I love this species. At one time I tried to collect as many clones of this as my wallet could aford. Of course I was young and dumb! I had no idea they grew so poorly here in Houston. That was 20 yrs ago......last month I bought 3 more:confused: What was I think'in?!? That's my hard headedness kicking in again:D You people need to help me out, in growing them and not taking them off my hands, I mean!
Give up your secrets pretty please!

I think that the newer crosses may be more tolerant of a wider range of temps than the original collected plants. That said, my plants are grown under lights in the basement and rarely exceed 80F for a high and 60F for a low. Like many other "cool growing" Paphs such as armeniacum and charlesworthii, I used to have to leave them outside in the fall to simulate their winter, but all my newer acquisitions grow and bloom fine without the extra attention.

I think it makes everything looks blue - but perhaps its my eyes...

goldenrose; I like the [COLOR=blue said:
blue[/COLOR] cloth! There's something about it, I think they photograph better than with a black background.

Ross... I think that is just awesome. You have to let me know what size the bud was when it started, here's a pic of the one I have it's a real small plant and the bud is the size of a bean, now I really can't wait to see what it looks like. Thanks Jim.

IMG_0283.jpg

Ross... I think that is just awesome. You have to let me know what size the bud was when it started, here's a pic of the one I have it's a real small plant and the bud is the size of a bean, now I really can't wait to see what it looks like. Thanks Jim.

IMG_0283.jpg
All my fairrieanum buds start out quite small. Your's llok real good, so far.

I think it makes everything looks blue - but perhaps its my eyes...
Not your eyes. Any color influences another color's perception. Check any color theory book. Black, white and neutral gray are all colorless, so do not affect color perception. They do affect perception of other values (lights and darks), but that's another matter.

That is a very nice fairrianum. The upswept petals are so pretty.

I love it ! Mine is on his way too, but is is not an albino form. It has reached the same level of development that Jblanford's pic.
So I guess we'll soon have a fairrieanum festival :clap:

Latest posts

Back