Paph. Emerald Lake 'Kate's Spilled' & 'Kate's Defense'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Moving right along with the train of thought from London Wall, the most recent hybrid through the line from London Wall to Wallur to Greenvale to Emerald Sea is Emerald Lake, which is Emerald Sea x Stone Lovely. I have and have seen a number of great Emerald Lakes; this is a very very high probability grex from the Orchid Zone. Some of the best are truly spectacular, with massive petals and nice shape coming through Todd Clark and excellent size and big dorsals from Greenvale. At OZ today I was looking around (with Paphioland, whom I happened to meet up with there today - great to finally meet you), and, while I couldn't afford some of the very best of them, I did find these two, which are to me very interesting plants. These could well represent a new color in complexes - greens with purple spotted dorsals. Since spots can be found on both sides of the Emerald Lake gene pool (from Autumn Gold and Via Del Sol on the Stone Lovely side, and from Wallur, and even some Greenvales on the Emerald Sea side), with a large enough population, some are sure to get some spots. I was really drawn to these two - although not the best shape, I think the colors could be very unique. We'll see if shapes improve over time (often especially pouch indentations and so forth are not genetic, but cultural conditions), but I'm anxious to get some seed...what an interesting combination...

On the left 'Kate's Spilled' - just a few drops (NS 12.5 cm, PW 6.2 cm)...on the right 'Kate's Defense' (NS 12.1 cm, PW 6.2 cm) - my wife defended her dissertation this last Wednesday (yay!!).

Attachments

• emeraldlake_katesspilled.jpg
    emeraldlake_katesspilled.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 74
  • emeraldlake_katesdefense.jpg
    emeraldlake_katesdefense.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 75
I think you're on to something with change up of color combos. You a couple of great bookends to start with!

Latest posts

Back