Paph. (Eggs and Bacon x S. Gratrix)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
This is (Eggs and Bacon 'Soft Touch' x S. Gratrix 'Bleeder').

Eggs and Bacon = (Norito Hasegawa x James Bacon), where Norito Hasegawa = (malipoense x armeniacum) and James Bacon = (godefroyae x Conco-bellatulum). And S. Gratrix = (bellatulum x godefroyae).

So, overall, this hybrid is:
3/8 godefroyae
5/16 bellatulum
1/8 armeniacum
1/8 malipoense
1/16 concolor

And that's 1/4 Parvi, 3/4 Brachy.

I like intersectional crosses, and I was pretty excited about a different kind of Brachypetalum x Parvisepalum cross—different from the Kevin Porter types (x micranthum) and the Ma Belle types (x malipoense). I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It has some of the worse aspects of the Brachy ancestors: very short stem, very cuppy. The flower is also quite small—4.4cm; about 1 3/4". I find it interesting that it has the triangular shape characteristic of related crosses, such as Ma Belle and Mint Chocolate.

We'll see if the second blooming improves.

I like it!
Is this # 153 Bacon Trix? It looks nothing like mine, which I'll try to post tomorrow. The label on my plant says 'Bacon & Eggs x S. Gratrix' but the RHS has no record of Bacon & Eggs, yet.
On Nick's site he has #153 Bacon Trix = Byron Geer x S.Gratrix, which would give us a brachy that's about 50% bellatulum, 35% godefroyae & 15% concolor.

Yikes! I'm not sure. The label on mine says the same—NT153, and it is also given as "Bacon & Eggs". The RHS has "Eggs and Bacon" listed, and I assumed that Nick had simply entered the name reversed. But his site now lists NT153 Paph. Bacon Trix (Byron Geer 'Soft Touch' X S. Gratrix 'Bleeder'), as you say!

I might have to drop him a line. I bet it is Bacon Trix, though. I think this flower is more in line with that hybrid, I guess. I'll look forward to seeing yours!

Also, BTW: "Bacon Trix" = worst breakfast evar.

...So, overall, this hybrid is:
3/8 godefroyae
5/16 bellatulum
1/8 armeniacum
1/8 malipoense
1/16 concolor
And that's 1/4 Parvi, 3/4 Brachy....

I like it and it looks nice but I can't see much improvement compared to a distinct P. godefroyae!!
Unfortunately there's no P. godefroyae for comparison. Maybe it would be better visible with both plants side by side?

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Here's mine for comparison, hard to imagine these two are sibs???
brachys008.jpg

I think mine looks like what one would expect from Byron Greer x S. Gratrix??? taking more after the S. Gratrix parent???

Latest posts

Back