Parvi x Brachy Hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I do not see these offered often.
I know the results are mostly horribly deformed flowers if at all, although they are very nice when good.

Is low fertility also an issue of making such hybrids??
Or is certain species mix better than others??
The ones I see the more common than others are that of malipoense x and delenatii x, and I rarely see armeniacum x and micranthum x.

I find delenatii x quite boring although things like Vanda M. Pearman is a popular cross and I have one myself, but mostly just for the leaves.

I just put an pollen sac of my Norito Hasegawa onto Snowflak ( niveum x conco-bellatulum) that just opened. I don't feel very good because the huge pollen sac of NH won't stick to the stigma easily. It took me multiple trial, then it fell off a few minutes later. I had to put it back, but placed it a bit further back so the pollen sac would stay stuck partly supported by those hairs on the petal (or sepal) underneath.
I'm already dreaming of range of possibilities of Woessner Jade, Ma Belle, Woessner Bellarmi sort of flowers. wish I had a greenhouse to keep all the seedlings.
By the way, I'm just doing this for my personal pleasure, so I didn't worry about using what might be considered by many here as average or inferior parents. I like them both, so, wish me luck! :)

I wish you good luck!! If germination happens and you get a flask back shoot me some seedlings!!!

A little honey or glycerine helps get dry pollen to stick (I prefer glycerine because the Henley has the unfortunate side effect of attracting ants)

So the growing tube from the pollen get through these barriers just fine I guess?

It is not dry, but fresh off the flower.
It is somehow not wanting to easily stick.
It's definitely not as sticky as pollen from fairrieanum, or is stigma supposed to be sticky too??

I managed to keep the pollen on the stigma of the brachy, but I see that the contact surface is very small. The pollen is much bigger than the others.
I hope this does not mean less chance of fertilization or little production of seeds, that is if these are both fertile and match.

Can I cut the pollen sac in half and use half??

Would the pollen stay viable after the flower dries??
I have a fairly nice round and large Mystic Isle in bud, which I'd like to pollinate with NH, but the NH will drop its flower well before Mystic Isle opens up.

Latest posts

Back