Paph. druryi - at last!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mormodes

Reaction score
I've tried growing Paph druryi 3 times. All have croaked except this one. Granted its a small flower - about 6-cm horizontal spread- but I'm very happy I've finally succeeded.

Flower
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbarrett/6957809968/in/photostream

Whole plant w/ upright leaves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbarrett/7103880361/in/photostream

I changed its place in the GH - close to the airflow from the swamp cooler but not exactly in it. Brighter light, standing in water (deli lid) and repotted (orchiata). Of those probably the increased light and the lid of water are what allowed it to bloom under my personal limitations. Or the repotting... probably the repotting rather than the deli lid. I saw the image of druryi growing in situ, hence the bright, sorta-cold conditions.

That's a pretty one.

Yes bright light, but these guys like it hot in the summer cool in the winter.

Mine will flourish with summer highs close to 100. High 80's and low 90's no problem.

With high K fert they become rot sensitive, so don't scrimp on calcium and magnesium.

Nice! Thanks for sharing... I like this species a lot, but have never tried to grow it myself.

A very nice clone. Mine stops growing after importation. I hope to figure out what is going on with it.

A very nice clone. Mine stops growing after importation. I hope to figure out what is going on with it.

I think Rick has the right advice on growing conditions. Hot summer, cooler drier winter. Whether you can provide that in Hong Kong is the question....

I think Rick has the right advice on growing conditions. Hot summer, cooler drier winter. Whether you can provide that in Hong Kong is the question....

Definitely really easy in Hong Kong. Maisie Orchids in Kowloon used to have big plants of it, blooming well... Hot summer and cool winter are common places in Hong Kong indeed...

Definitely really easy in Hong Kong. Maisie Orchids in Kowloon used to have big plants of it, blooming well... Hot summer and cool winter are common places in Hong Kong indeed...

Roth is right. In summer days, Hong Kong can be up to 33 degrees celcius. In Winter can be down to 10 degrees. These are outdoor parameters. For indoor, summer 26-28, winter 14-16.

Latest posts

Back