Paph.concolor v. chlorophyllum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roy - I'm not sure what mine is either! Are the other leaves on your plant similar or do they have variance as mine do?

I need to re-read the original article regarding concolor var chlorophyllum before I comment further. I think it is in a 1970's or 1980's edition of Orchid Digest. Anybody have the complete set and the time to dig back and look?

This is what the leaves look like on my concolor. And yes, they all look more of less the same.

concolorleaf.jpg

It is, isn't it?

This is the only concolor I have so nothing to compare it to but that lack of pigmentation was the first thing that I noticed when I received the plant.

Beautiful plant Rose, it's so different from my concolor, the flower is a different shape and the spike is taller as well.

The leaves on mine are much darker on the underside like the 'normal' concolor perhaps, here's couple shots to compare:

HPIM3323.jpg

HPIM3325.jpg

Sorry if the focus is a little off, kind of took them in a hurry and it's dark here just now...:D

BTw, this is Paph. concolor (‘Spotty’ x ‘Dudley Ott’ AM/AOS), I posted a picture of it previously.

:( We didn't get any feed back on opinions of what our plants might be.
I was at Oak Hill Gardens yesterday & they had some concolors that all had the dark underneath as OrchidNorth. I'm assuming these are normal/regular concolors?

Rose, I think most concolors are colored underleaf to a varying degree. I have a P. concolor v Hennisianum coming in a week or so. It will be interesting to see the leaves on it. I wonder if growing conditions alter the leaf color on concolors. It doesn't appear to be the case on other Brachys though.
I think I can feel a bud coming up on my plant but when it will flowers..???

Orchid North's dark colored leaf underside is the way I remembered most of the wild collected concolor coming in, back in the 70's and 80's when they came in by the truckload. Elena's is closer to what I think the 'type' should be for chlorophyllum. On hers you could really see why the collectors thought they had stumbled into a population of alba plants. On Rose's plant, there is enough pigment that I would wonder if it was 'pure' chorophyllum, or possibly a seedling from a cross between 'normal' and chlorophyllum.

Flowers are similar enough between the races, I am sure there are 'hybrid' seedlings out there being sold as concolor, because they are concolor. The possibility is that there are also plants that originated from natural intergrade populations, that are neither one, nor the other.

I still need to find that article publishing the 'official' definition of chlorophyllum, before I definitively say one or the other is or isn't.

sign me 'Wishing my memory was better'
Leo

Adding to what Leo has already said about truckloads of concolors. From what I remember, the dark (solid) underside concolors appeared in the US market a round the same time huge numbers of Parvis out of China came into the US. These concolors also came from China. In general, the Chinese plants have a rounder form then their southern cousins. That's what I remember:D

Thanks Leo & Rick for your feedback. The history lessons are interesting.
I checked a couple of books & both said the underneath sides could be plain, to mostly heavily spotted with dark purple. Hopefully we're happy with what we have, which ever they may be! Chances are the flowers would be pretty similar too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back