Paph charlesworthii 'Burma' + charlesworthii hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First frost this morning for the season so things are really starting to cool down. Haven't flowered much for while but things are starting to heat up as the autumn flowerers kick in.

My charlesworthii has not flowered for 2 years so it is nice to see it in bloom this year. It is not a big flower but a nicely proportioned one IMHO. I think this would be a good one to use as breeding with the smaller Paphs (helenae, henryanum etc) as the plant is very compact and the flower has nice shape. I do have a henryanum that is about to open.

David

Paph charlesworthii 'Burma'

paphcharlseworthii2com.jpg

Paphcharlseworthii2010com.jpg

This is a hybrid of Paph charlseworthii and villosum. Quite simply one of the worst Paphs I have ever flowered. Seems to have taken the worst of both parents. I only paid $5 for a big clump so I can't complain.

Paph villosum X Paph charlesworthii = Paph Wrigleyi 1902

charsleworthiixvillosum.jpg

The hybrid looks more vill then chuck......what the hell, back cross it to chuck!:poke: or maybe NOT. BTW, nice charles you got.

Very nice little charlesworthii. What is the leaf span?

Ross - the leafspan of the plant is 26 cm (10 inches).

Compared to modern breeding the flower size is a little small but as close to perfect as can be in shape. The dorsal is perfectly flat and of pretty nice colour. I wouldn't mind doing the sort of breeding you do with the miniature Paphs and i think this would be good charlesworthii to work with. The only problem is a lot of the small Paph species I have are still seedlings so just waiting for them to flower. I do have a nice helenae x henryanum that might be a good cross with charlesworthii. It flowered this time last year and should flower next year.

David

If the hybrid grows easily it should be crossed w/ something that doesn't, to utilize that genetic trait. :D

Good talk Eric. I have a couple of multis (Formosa Lady and Harold Koopowitz) and a Brachy (Psyche) to work with. Should make them easier to grow. I'm sure it would yield great results.

Or I could just save the charlesworthii pollen for my villosum which is in bud and see if I could improve on this flowering. Or maybe not. :)

David

I did some hunting on OrchidWiz, and found these results for Brachy crosses:

x godefroyae= Princess Sangwan 2004
x Greyi = Sandy's Pink Dink 1993
x Psyche = Cherry Chips 1984
x niveum = Eos 1900
x bellatulum = Dora Crawshaw 1900

No awards are listed for any of these crosses. This doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be OK, but my guess is that the form was poor or few offspring were produced, given the lack of awards. Woodstream Orchids offered flasks of a remake of Eos a few years back. Did anyone in the forum bloom out plants from this cross?

Dr Koopowitz (Little Stevie= charlesworthii x Little Henry)and Dennis Olivas (Garbaldi x charlesworthii= Norvin Olivas) have been doing some nice mini crosses using charlesworthii. I would store the pollen and wait for your Wossner Mini Star (helenae x henryanum)to rebloom, especially if the dorsal doesn't reflex on it.

I did some hunting on OrchidWiz, and found these results for Brachy crosses:

x godefroyae= Princess Sangwan 2004
x Greyi = Sandy's Pink Dink 1993
x Psyche = Cherry Chips 1984
x niveum = Eos 1900
x bellatulum = Dora Crawshaw 1900

No awards are listed for any of these crosses. This doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be OK, but my guess is that the form was poor or few offspring were produced, given the lack of awards. Woodstream Orchids offered flasks of a remake of Eos a few years back. Did anyone in the forum bloom out plants from this cross?

Dr Koopowitz (Little Stevie= charlesworthii x Little Henry)and Dennis Olivas (Garbaldi x charlesworthii= Norvin Olivas) have been doing some nice mini crosses using charlesworthii. I would store the pollen and wait for your Wossner Mini Star (helenae x henryanum)to rebloom, especially if the dorsal doesn't reflex on it.

Thanks Ross. Yes, I don't think I have anything open at the moment that is suitable. I do have a henryanum just about to open but then I just deflasked this cross recently from nice parents so there doesn't seem much point. I think my breeding with this charlseworthii will be more in the future. From memory the dorsal doesn't reflex.

Actually I have a nice compact spicerianum just about to open as well. Not sure if that is worth a try.

David

Last edited:
Regarding breedomg w/ the hybrid. One which grows vegetatively well might not flower often but at least puny growing plants could get improved vigor. :)

Thanks Ross. Yes, I don't think I have anything open at the moment that is suitable. I do have a henryanum just about to open but then I just deflasked this cross recently from nice parents so there doesn't seem much point. I think my breeding with this charlseworthii will be more in the future. From memory the dorsal doesn't reflex.

Actually I have a nice compact spicerianum just about to open as well. Not sure if that is worth a try.

David

It all depends on what your goals are. Many times, initial crosses with charlesworthii do not produce the desired colored dorsal, as the charlesworthii dorsal color seems to be somewhat recessive (see examples of Paph Little Trouble). A second cross back to charlesworthii or charlesworthii offspring is required to bring out the color.

If your goal is to produce a nice hybrid with your charlesworthii in one cross, try a vini-colored Maudiae. These type of crosses have produced some very beautiful, dark flowers. :)

At any rate, save the pollen just in case the right parent come along in the next few months.

It all depends on what your goals are. Many times, initial crosses with charlesworthii do not produce the desired colored dorsal, as the charlesworthii dorsal color seems to be somewhat recessive (see examples of Paph Little Trouble). A second cross back to charlesworthii or charlesworthii offspring is required to bring out the color.

If your goal is to produce a nice hybrid with your charlesworthii in one cross, try a vini-colored Maudiae. These type of crosses have produced some very beautiful, dark flowers. :)

At any rate, save the pollen just in case the right parent come along in the next few months.

Thanks Ross. From what I have seen of these charlseworthii hybrids it is definitely a couple of generations project. For example, the charlesworthii x helenae primary is a bit of a waste of time on its own but could lead to nice hybrids down the track. I guess I'm planning long term.

The same with spicerianum x charlseworthii. On its own, it seems a pretty ordinary hybrid.

David

Your charlesworthii and your photos are lovely!!
As to this hybrid, be merciful and give it charity!!
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Latest posts

Back