Paph. charlesworthii, album 'Wacousta'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!! That's a great looking plant, and of course your pictures are always great, thanks.... Jim.

Paph. charlesworthii var. album 'Wacousta' ??/AOS. What is the award it got? It's a gorgeous thing....wish it were mine! I must get one of these. The albas are so fine. :drool:
AM/AOS

WOw - you got me drooling here!

What are your cultural recommandations? I've big clump of this specie which never flower
It's only fair -- I drool over every picture you post!
I really don't have any special cultural recommendations. In the winter, I've been growing it under lights in my basement "greenhouse" and watered it about twice a week when it was in a small pot. This summer, it's been repotted into a larger pot (because it's grown) placed in a shade house and been watered every 4 or 5 days.

Woooohhhhh, I have been looking for this. Please, PM me if someone have it for sell/trade
Thanks,
BD
Sorry BD. At this point it's not large enough to divide. At least I wouldn't be comfortable dividing it yet. You might try the vendor I purchased this from: Sam at Orchid Inn.

Awesome, Dot!!!

And, can't resist, it's Paph. charlesworthii forma sandowiae.
Ernie, I ran that name by one of the judges who awarded it. He said that it would be fine if I wanted to name it that, but the award wouldn't apply until a bunch of paperwork were done. I think I'll just leave it at "alba."

Thanks everyone. My plant and I appreciate your kudos.

Dot, that's hooha. The form is formally described as fma sandowiae. chuckworth fma. album does not exist in the proper sense and no paph will ever be an alba (proper 'gender matching' would be album). There is no paperwork in using the published name for a species or its forms and varieties. That's why I keep poking with names when I know them. It's important to get the right names into the hobby in my opinion.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Not really, it's a beautiful flower and we know what you mean by alba.

A deeper question- we have a cross consisting of albino fairrieanum onto an album maudiae type hybrid. Some of the progeny have some traces of color. The fairrieanum showed complete phenotypic albinism but it's parents were an album and a normally colored fairrie. In this case, is it proper to call that fairrieanum a fma, bohlmannianum (album)???

Congratukations Dot - to this plant/flowers as well as to the photos.
I gonna be off now fetching a cloth to wipe my drooling from the keybord. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

hey ernie-awesome question. it happens all the time nowadays with two step (and more) breeding with many of the alba species and coloratum forms. I guess if it looks like a duck its a duck. but true albums need to be highly scrutinized and should be devoid of every bit of anthocyanins, carotenoids, etc. Its weird too because i just bloomed out a couple new "alba" niveums, one of which was made with two alba (phenotypically) parents, one of which was awarded by TPS, and the F! seedling i have bloomed out coloratum. the leaves however look like there was some "reach back" in the genetic mixing and are intermediate of a coloratum and album niveum leaf mating... whats crazy is all the others from the same cross that have bloomed came out complete albums (phenotypically).

Such a special plant, the touch of green on the dorsal sepal and the large
synsepalum :drool: Albino charlesworthii seedlings are available in Taiwan, but
I'm still waiting for the price to go down a bit ;) The orchids got cheaper
nowadays :rollhappy:

I asked Ching Hua (the Hsinying nursery) 3 years ago, and they offered selfings
of 'Pride of Tokyo' for about US$270 each (NT$8,000). Last year I asked again
and it was down to NT$6,000 :rollhappy: Miki Orchids has plants offered simply
as 'albino seedlings', selling at NT$3,000 each. They're still available, so I'll just
wait :) CH is offering flask of colored charlesworthii, awarded clone for US$100.
I'm so tempted.... Probably next time

I don't know how many times I've open this post and read folks comments assuming I've already posted. Damn! I just checked the whole post, nothing! I'm sorry Dot and that is one awsome plant/ flowers!!!!

Latest posts

Back