Paph callosum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I got this plant with low buds (stem with 2 buds on one growth, stem with 1 bud on another growth) some months ago as Paph callosum! As recently, I got evidence that several tags of my plants were incorrect, I have become suspicious! Maybe you can confirm the species! I like this first rel. large flower however :)!! Jean

It certainly looks very similar to my callosum currently in bloom. Mine has more down-swept petals and darker color, but these are variable traits in callosum.

looks like it to me too but i don't know much about callosum.
how big is the flower?

I'd say a callosum as well. Looks a bit different to your classic callosum though which tends to have a bigger rounder dorsal. I like yours just the same.

David

Due to the vast range of its origin P. callosum is extremely variable and I would eat a broom if yours isn't one.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Photo

Jean - it has to be unless Lance Birk says its not - J - makes such a nice big pot to display

I would eat a broom if yours isn't one.

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Of all the things to eat, I've never imagined a broom!!

This callosum has a posture a bit like var. sublaeve.

But as you mentioned this species has a large range, and it overlaps with barbatum. So there is lots of variation, gradations, and what appears to be natural hybridization with barbatum.

This looks like P. callosum from Khao Yai region. Mine just opened. Could be twins. Mine has two stems with 2 flowers each, ... as usual.

This looks like P. callosum from Khao Yai region. Mine just opened. Could be twins. Mine has two stems with 2 flowers each, ... as usual.

Where is the Khao Yai region Lance?

Also given that this species has been in cultivation for over a hundred years, are there still significant wild importations of this species into Europe or US, or clones with limited generational breeding that could be traced back to regional populations?

Hey Rick,

Khao Yai lies ESE from Bangkok, about where the "lower-lip" region of the elephant's head is, approx 70 clicks W of the Camboge border. My plants are jungle collected and are 'pure.'

There are plenty of P. callosum and varieties still in habitat but I do not know the security of those places. I have not personally collected from very many habitats, but I have seen several regional types that I believe are geo-specific. I doubt that they are exported in the same numbers as from the past, but this is only a guess.

If your question is about whether or not they are bred in cultivation and then sold overseas, I think they are collected and then sold.

While lumping them all together as a single species, I think they can and should be separated at some time in the future, if that can be possible. Whatwith CITES, I don't imagine that can ever be accomplished while the treaty remains in effect.

Latest posts

Back