Paph Blendia 'Magnifica' HCC/AOS, B/CSA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Registered in 1938 by Cooke, Blendia has been a parent in 66 crosses which have yielded 1,253 progeny, many being among the finest spotted complexes in the world. Most notable F1 offspring are Sparsholt, Woodruff, and Personality from Ratcliffe Orchids and Parry Gripp from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate.

One of the more unusual crosses to be made with Blendia is Paph Demura (Blendia x bellatulum). An example, Demura 'Plover' HCC/AOS, may be seen on Marriott Orchids website: http://www.marriottorchids.com/Gallery photos/DemuraPlover.jpg

In 1995, D. Pulley registered Paph Demura x hirsutissimum = Buff Hunk. A couple examples of this cross may be seen on this Japanese website: http://www.orchid.gr.jp/paph_htms/paph_noverty.htm

PaphBlendiaMagnificum410.jpg

The finest spotted ancestor in the world, with the possible exception of its parent Mem. F.M. Ogilvie...very nice, Ross!!

I know there are a few pieces of Mem. F.M. Ogilvie left in the world, but the other parent, Lucarola, I've never seen or heard of. I wonder if it's still out there... (I have Lucid, a cross of Lucarola x Cardinal Mercier, but that's as close as I've got)

I have Demura 'Plover' and it is neary impossible for me to grow, very much like White Alary and some of the other brachy x complex. My guess is that I keep them too cold. They make a leaf, then an old leaf dies, over and over with no increase in plant size. I'd like to make some crosses with Demura - it's clearly fertile - and might make some interesting novelties when crossed to whites.

Thanks for showing us this - it's good to know you have a piece of it!!

Thanks for sharing this Ross!
From a breeding perspective I find it rather fascinating to see this sort of dominance in the Marriots picture. I don’t know how you guys work, but when I click on a link like http://www.marriottorchids.com/Galle...muraPlover.jpg I usually have an expectation of what the hybrid would/should/can look like. In any case where there is bellatulum involved my prejudice or expectation is normally instant and goes like this: very heavy colouration with mostly questionable spike/flower-arrangement traits and an overall bellatulum dominance as “grand-total impression”. I love it when my own prejudice proves me wrong, like in this case! This Blendia x bellatulum to me is an almost bellatulum untypical super harmonic combination of these 2 parents, with Blendia leading the entire show. Very interesting!!!

Thanx for that second link. I'll take one Mem. Hirohisa Kawai, one Pixie Dust, one Tiger Balm, one Sweet Sato, and one Tsui's Delight! :crazy:

that second site, for tozuka orchidculture, sells many divisions of their plants...go to orchid.gr.jp and look at their divisions list!!

Maybe someone in Japan can get them for us??

Thanks for sharing this Ross!
From a breeding perspective I find it rather fascinating to see this sort of dominance in the Marriots picture. I don’t know how you guys work, but when I click on a link like http://www.marriottorchids.com/Galle...muraPlover.jpg I usually have an expectation of what the hybrid would/should/can look like. In any case where there is bellatulum involved my prejudice or expectation is normally instant and goes like this: very heavy colouration with mostly questionable spike/flower-arrangement traits and an overall bellatulum dominance as “grand-total impression”. I love it when my own prejudice proves me wrong, like in this case! This Blendia x bellatulum to me is an almost bellatulum untypical super harmonic combination of these 2 parents, with Blendia leading the entire show. Very interesting!!!

This one does have better form than many bellatulum/complex crosses.

that second site, for tozuka orchidculture, sells many divisions of their plants...go to orchid.gr.jp and look at their divisions list!!

Maybe someone in Japan can get them for us??

Speaking of bellatulum/complex crosses, Tim, have you ever seen Belisaire (Atlantis x bellatulum)? There is one shown in this website, but it is hard to believe that this particular flower is a parent of Paeony. If it is, it looks like the form problems with bellatulum/complex hybrids can be resolved as quickly as the second generation.

Just looked at the list!:drool:

I've seen the picture but I don't know which was used to make Paeony. I can't imagine that Belisaire was made more than once...especialy considering how difficult it is to find Atlantis 'The Cardinal'....

The form issues do seem to disappear almost immediately - just look at Heaven's Gate, which is Grace Day x roth, where Grace Day is 1/2 belllatulum. I think this semi-complex style is an interesting new breeding direction. There are lots of brachy x complex crosses (and many of them highly awarded - Grace Day, White Alary, Buenagood, Ross Newman, etc), but very little has been done with those plants as parents. Possibly fertility issues? Possibly ability to grow issues???

Wild colors and patterns indeed! Thanks for the link too - some of those hybrids are just outrageous, including the 1st Buff Hunk, Double Trix, Hirsti Anne, Magic Wings, Pebble Path, Rosy Peacock, Sato, Sweet Sato, and any of the the Hirohisa Kawai (I think I got them all).

Tom do you know this vendor Tozuka (or is it Tozuoka)? he has some very interesting divisions...

Back