Quantcast

Paph. Bel Royal (kolopakingii x rothschildianum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

spujr

Reaction score
I was waiting for the last, 6th flower to open but I got impatient and worried the first flower would fall off first. I got this back in 2016, its been growing happily but hasn't flowered since purchase. This year I stuck it outside for a week, not sure if that did the trick or if it was ready anyways. I'll repot after bloom.

The plant was mislabeled:
20200425_162452.jpg
I checked with the grower I got it from several years ago and we both agree it is likely Paph. Bel Royal (kolopakingii x rothschildianum), if anyone has a second opinion please share!

My staking needs practice. Right away the flower stem took a nose dive to the earth:
20200415_124743.jpg

I did the best I could but the flowers wanted to go the way they go, here's the rest:
20200430_164024.jpg 20200430_164047.jpg
20200430_164246.jpg

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Monster plant. The lip is more colorful than any Bel Royal I've seen in person, but I've seen photos of clones with lots of red like this. Otherwise, I don't find that to be an unreasonable guess as to its ID.

spujr

Reaction score
Thank you! If anyone has a Roth female in bloom and willing to use it as a female, let me know and I can try to send pollen. I've been wanting to develop a BC population to make a bigger roth.

troy

Reaction score
There are no male / female paphs, they all reproduce the same way, until just recent I thought cloning paphs was impossible, it can be done but it's very very difficult, not worth the effort

spujr

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant if someone had a roth flower open now and are willing to use it as a pollen receiver, I can send the pollen of the Bel Royal to make [rothchildianum x (rothchildianum x kolopakingii)].

Yes, since paph flowers are hermaphroditic someone could also send me roth pollen and I could use one of the Bel Royal's flowers to make the backcross.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
Gorgeous flowers and a well grown plant. Lovely