Paph. Bel Royal (kolopakingii x rothschildianum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spujr

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for the last, 6th flower to open but I got impatient and worried the first flower would fall off first. I got this back in 2016, its been growing happily but hasn't flowered since purchase. This year I stuck it outside for a week, not sure if that did the trick or if it was ready anyways. I'll repot after bloom.

The plant was mislabeled:
20200425_162452.jpg
I checked with the grower I got it from several years ago and we both agree it is likely Paph. Bel Royal (kolopakingii x rothschildianum), if anyone has a second opinion please share!

My staking needs practice. Right away the flower stem took a nose dive to the earth:
20200415_124743.jpg

I did the best I could but the flowers wanted to go the way they go, here's the rest:
20200430_164024.jpg 20200430_164047.jpg
20200430_164246.jpg

Monster plant. The lip is more colorful than any Bel Royal I've seen in person, but I've seen photos of clones with lots of red like this. Otherwise, I don't find that to be an unreasonable guess as to its ID.

Thank you! If anyone has a Roth female in bloom and willing to use it as a female, let me know and I can try to send pollen. I've been wanting to develop a BC population to make a bigger roth.

There are no male / female paphs, they all reproduce the same way, until just recent I thought cloning paphs was impossible, it can be done but it's very very difficult, not worth the effort

Sorry, I meant if someone had a roth flower open now and are willing to use it as a pollen receiver, I can send the pollen of the Bel Royal to make [rothchildianum x (rothchildianum x kolopakingii)].

Yes, since paph flowers are hermaphroditic someone could also send me roth pollen and I could use one of the Bel Royal's flowers to make the backcross.

Latest posts

Back