Paph. barbigerum alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a first bloom seedling. I was surprised to see it bloom out to be an alba variety of the species. I never knew an alba variety existed....
Lovely barbigerum album and I'm convinced you purchased it as a bargain much cheaper than the price of a barbigerum album. If you had asked for that.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

is there really any difference between barbigerum album and coccineum album? I can't understand how they've been described as different species, but then again I;m more of a lumper anyways.

Paphio, do you know who has the purpuratum? Are they planning on releasing any offspring?

Thanks - what about the mastersianum album floating around awhile ago? anyone hear anything about it? what about emersonii alba?

I don't think they are making selfings of the purpuratum album. Master album died from what I have heard with no progeny. I don't know anything about a emersonii album.

Not to mention coccineum album, there are 2 different ones, including one with red leaf base and pure gold yellow flower, and a yellow and white flower on a much smaller plant. Looking at the leaves, you have the real barbigerum album, not the coccineum stuff...

This sounds very nice: red leaf base and yellow flower!
Do you like the real barbigerum album more than the coccineum?

I'd like someone to send me some unidentified album species! :mad:

Wow,that is an easy request...someone wants some sanderianum and rothschildianum alba for free?I will be happy to have a wehtwortianum alba as reward for them.....:drool:

Mastersianum album: dead
Purpuratum album: There is 1 plant of it in Japan, 1 in China - now back to its original place Vietnam, as far as the original plants are concerned. Not yet propagated commercially.
Henryanum album: 3 different ones originals, 2 propagated, 1 much better not yet.
Vietnamense album: 1 original one, already propagated. 1 other found 2 years ago, the seller from Dalat wants 7500USD, not propagated, died last year.
Tonsum album: Plants and seedlings in Japan, 1 original plant only.
Emersonii album: several different plants, but most not good shape.
Hangianum album : 4-5 original plants, not yet propagated.
Malipoense album : 4-5 original plants, not seen it offered yet.
Micranthum album: 100+ original plants, including the Kwangsee type
Ciliolare album: died, no progeny.
Stonei album: big mystery if there are real seedlings around...
Henryanum christae: 2 different ones, not propagated.
Callosum album: apart from the now defunct callosum Sanderae, I have seen 1 vietnamese callosum album, has been propagated, and 1 sublaeve album in Thailand.
Barbatum album: 1 plant in Malysia, not propagated
Brachypetalums album: fairly common, including bellatulum album - maybe some dozen different jungle plants, niveum album, several. godefroyae and leucochilum 2-3 original ones. concolor album, about a dozen different ones - the ones in Europe are concolor album x ang-thong album, seedlings made by Rene Klinge, and sold by some people as concolor album. thaianum, 2 different ones.

Parishii album, 1 original one, died
Dianthum album, several ones, at least 2 from Laos and 2 from China. Propagated.
haynaldianum album, 1 original one
lowii aureum, 2 different ones, 1 propagated 1 apparently lost.
hookerae album, volonteanum album. 1 original one of each, volonteanum album 1 plant still alive. Selfings of the latter give coloratum volonteanum.

There are albinos I have seen once but never heard of after, like victoria-mariae album. One collector had sangii album, real one. Disappeared. Gigantifolium album was offered in bloom last year though I did not see it in person.

The Taiwanese offer anitum album for some years, but they always sell the few jungle plants got in spike, not in bloom, and I have not seen it in bloom

Adductum album, praestans album, randsii album existed, but disappeared shortly after they bloomed, dead.

Albinos are usually weaker than the normal species, and are a bit harder to propagate therefore. There are a couple of exceptions.

vietnamense alba is around,tonsum alba also from taiwan,hangianum alba have been produced but only few and immediately sold out in taiwan and very expensive...600US$ 3-4 seedling flask.mastersianum and volonteanum alba...plants died before propagation...also an incredile plant of parishii alba was sold and died in the customer collection...that was a dream for me...
purpuratum alba is around...taiwan and japan.....henrianum alba..the ones arrived in europe sold out very fast(I arrived too late),more plants will be available in USA from Sam that I think is waiting for new generation to show better quality flowers for selections,and other ones have been reproduced in taiwan and japan...stoneii alba still a mistery...exists but is already long time that seedlings are around but no outcome untill now...SAM have an"almost there" selfing for sell that produced quite pale seedlings....hope in albino outcome but maybe 0%albinos...also i heard of bouganvillieanum alba(maybe false...in my opinion was saskianum) and also tranliemianum alba is around.helenae alba there are some nice plants around in europe....I see always some orchids shows around...but the best in my opinion still michrantunm that still very difficult to find even if there are quite a lot of mother plants around...most expensive one to buy still malipoense album....
villosum alba is veeeery rare(green and white),the yellow form is available...alba brachys a lot from thailand and taiwn in next years...propagating a lot...(but pay attention for hybrids...a lot of ang-thong x around)...lowii alba can find from SAM and also topperii alba....also hennisianum alba from taiwan and few urbanianum alba seedling around...javanicum alba is around(if i am not wrong also OL use to have)...praestans alba exists but never seen seedlings and I think all mother plants died(I know for shure 2 plants died)...philippinense everyone knows..many varieties...I read legends about randsii alba...and also someone said ma about anitum alba(quite important source)...charlesworthii alba everyone knows(OZ)...i've seen photos of the "lost" spicerianum alba, and also exul alba(recent photos ..hope they reproduce)...I've heard of daynaum alba but dont trust...barbatum alba and "flava" are around reproduced plants...dianthum alba is around(SAM)...hainaldianum alba also everyone knows...insigne also...armeniacum same....I've heard about xfanaticums alba will be available from taiwan...tigrinum alba...some in taiwan baut not heard of seedlings availabe...hirsutissimum alba there are many seedlings around...
annamense alba is around...jackii alba also quite a lot...heard of hiepii alba...
and now my head is tired...but a lot more around....

sanderianum and I,were writing the post at same time I think...and I can see that the infos around are quite similar...so nearly all infos have to be true....
Wow Sanderianum...I will be astonished to see gigantifolium and sangii alba!!!

Sandie -
can you share which nursery is propagating henryanum album? what's your opinion of v. chaoi?

I think it's very interesting all the phil v. alba x stonei v alba all look like crappy Mt. Toro....you'd think something different would show up, but the plants look total normal coloratum...I wonder too if actual alba stonei seedlings are out there.

Do you think the volunteanum alba selfings are legitimate? Seems very unlikely selfings of a recessive would produce coloratums...

Nice to see in US dianthum, haynaldianum, lowii, callosum, tonsum, malipoense, micranthum, armeniacum, brachys, and many other albas, all propagated from 1 or 2 original plants. See CITES people, artificial propagation can actually work!!

sanderianum and I,were writing the post at same time I think...and I can see that the infos around are quite similar...so nearly all infos have to be true....
Wow Sanderianum...I will be astonished to see gigantifolium and sangii alba!!!

mastersianum and volonteanum alba...plants died before propagation...also an incredile plant of parishii alba was sold and died in the customer collection...

stoneii alba still a mistery...exists but is already long time that seedlings are around but no outcome untill now...

SAM have an"almost there" selfing for sell that produced quite pale seedlings....hope in albino outcome but maybe 0%albinos...

also i heard of bouganvillieanum alba(maybe false...in my opinion was saskianum)

I see always some orchids shows around...but the best in my opinion still michrantunm that still very difficult to find even if there are quite a lot of mother plants around...

and also someone said ma about anitum alba(quite important source)...

exul alba(recent photos ..hope they reproduce)...

xfanaticums alba will be available from taiwan...tigrinum alba...some in taiwan baut not heard of seedlings availabe...

annamense alba is around...

The gig. album and sangii album were sold by the collector in Sulawesii to Japan... There were 2 pieces of ths sangii album, sold for 3000USD/division, around february this year, through Ferdi. gigantifolium album was sold nearly 2 years ago by Api.

Bougainvilleanum album, I saw a picture at Paul Gripp in Santa Barbara some years ago, but I think it was maybe just a bougainvilleanum that was quite pale... Died of course long time ago.

Tigrinum album, there has been flasks and seedlings offered, but I would be very careful, as the seller of those flasks, bought from Klinge a batch of normal tigrinum selfings that did not have pink at the base at nearly the same time he was offering the flasks...

Stonei album, I have a big doubt that the selfings are genuine, I have been one of the very first to have flasks, at a time they were 1500US/5 seedlings, the older generation - not yet offered to the public, but same group of sellers. The seedlings are very slow crippled grower like if they were abnormal or treated with some sort of chemicals. They offered another batch of seedlings seedlings this time, not flasks, and the leaf type is different. I would say the early flasks had seedlings with quite smooth leaves yellowish, not that much what we could expect from stonei, the seedlings they offered had darker green leaves, like the new types of stonei. Got some of both, and they still grow in a different way.

Taiwan has a bunch of near blooming size plants that they sell 500-1000USD/plant, but I would not be very confident, as they look quite similar to the plants they offer as Bear x self, which are not albinos at all...

The near album from Sam, as well as some others near album that existed in Malaysia - Malaysia has never seen the stonei album genuine in bloom, which is quite surprising, as we do not know anything about the origin of stonei album therefore... could give some albinos, though I don't think so.

EXul album, several plants in Thailand, but the shape of the flower is not so nice. There are an all yellow very strange one, and a yellow+white margin, as well as a green + white margin. The clumps are still in Thailand, and so far they did not succeed in making seedlings - but so far too in Thailand they are not that good anymore to make seedlings of paphs in the flask, don't know why, but they have very low germination those days...

Annamense album and laichauense album exist, there are several different ones around, including an all yellow one, genuine. Seedlings exist of the annamense album.

The villosum all yellow from Da Lat, there are fake ones, they are the old pot plant hybrid Dorasire more or less naturally linebred. It is still possible to find the green and white villosum here, not cheap, but some people have several clumps...

Gratrixianum album exist in 2-3 different plants, not quite spectacular.

Esquirolei album exist in quite a few different plants, hirsutissimum album pure album is unknown from the wild, some occured with the selfing of the hirsutissimum album FCC/AJOS that was not a perfect album.

Javanicum album, there are at least 5 differnt around. Dayanum album has been offered to me out of bloom, so forget about it, an no photo. hookerae album existed for sure too. violascens album existed, same for the real papuanum album, but crazy prices, I think both plants are dead no as no one wanted to buy those as they were jungle plants in very average condition, though in bloom.

There has been rumors of druryi album in Trivandrum for many years, but no one go there for a loooong time, even if they have many druryi plants, fresh collected and cultivated for ages.

Sandie -
can you share which nursery is propagating henryanum album? what's your opinion of v. chaoi?

Do you think the volunteanum alba selfings are legitimate? Seems very unlikely selfings of a recessive would produce coloratums...

Nice to see in US dianthum, haynaldianum, lowii, callosum, tonsum, malipoense, micranthum, armeniacum, brachys, and many other albas, all propagated from 1 or 2 original plants. See CITES people, artificial propagation can actually work!!

Chaoi was an unique mutant plant, so far Idon't know if it is still alive, same for smaragdinum or whatever it is called, that is a weird tigrinum, and unique plant...

henryanum album, Popow in Germany had a bunch of seedlings, I have one pod sowing now of mine - different one- the Taiwan ones have been bought from Popow.

Volonteanum album, yes the seedlings are legitimate, and 1 plant is still alive in Japan, the other part that was in Germany died.

As for the propagation of the albas, it is not quite correct. It's because the sellers can make a good profit that they are available at present time. Later, no one knows.

Paph hennissianum album has been mass propagated in 1994, and Christiansen in Denmark had over a thousand plant in bloom at that time. Sold out, now it is a rare item. The ones from Taiwan, I don't know frankly if they are legit, because the original hennissianum album and its selfing were very, very dark green, the ones from Taiwan are more yellow, and the shape is different from the original plant and its selfing that I have seen...

Vietnamense album: There are three original clones. The first one was used to make the seedling. The plant is in Germany/Taiwan. A second one is in Japan/Switzerland. The third one was mentionned by sanderianum. Was in Saigon two years ago, but now in the orchid paradies. The division are very expensive.

Henryanum album, I know two differents original clones.

Helenae album: not very rare, several original clones

Godefroyae album is more rare than the other brachy album. For me the best one have a green staminode and a ivoiry color.

Vietnamense album: There are three original clones. The first one was used to make the seedling. The plant is in Germany/Taiwan. A second one is in Japan/Switzerland. The third one was mentionned by sanderianum. Was in Saigon two years ago, but now in the orchid paradies. The division are very expensive.

Henryanum album, I know two differents original clones.

Helenae album: not very rare, several original clones

Godefroyae album is more rare than the other brachy album. For me the best one have a green staminode and a ivoiry color.

The japanese vietnamense album is the same as the german/taiwan. The first vietnamese album collected, at a time where the colonies were still in good shape, had nearly 10 growths. There is a piece in England of that one, and I know of one in the USA. Another one was found but the rhizome already rootted, at the end of the 90's, not in bloom but the BW picture of the plant is typical.

Helenae album, there should be over 100 original ones, if not much more.

Godefroyae album is indeed extremely rare...

Hello Sanderianum,
godefroyae album = leucochilum album ?

appletonianum aureum ... fairrieanum album ..... tranlienianum album ......kolopakingii album.....coccineum album.... fowliei album .... wardii album ....sukhakulii album...wenshanense album...

Back