Paph. barbigerum alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Sanderianum,
godefroyae album = leucochilum album ?

Not at all, but both are extremely rare... I have seen so far myself as jungle plants only 1 godefroyae album and 2 leucochilum albums, the former had a yellow background, latter white background, and one leucochilum album had golden yellow markings instead of brown.

But don't hope too much about the seedlings, most if not all seedlings are hybrids sold from Thailand originally, and incorporate a fair amount of ang-thong album. In fact, they are not completely wrong, as at a time ang-thong was considered to be the same species as leucochilum and godefroyae, so they had, at that time, the 'legal' right to do that.

appletonianum aureum ... fairrieanum album ..... tranlienianum album ......kolopakingii album.....coccineum album.... fowliei album .... wardii album ....sukhakulii album...wenshanense album...

An interesting fact about sukhakhulii album is that only 1 original plant has been found, and not even the album but an aureum. When selfed it gave a fair percentage of albums. But out of the hundreds of thousands of sukhakhulii collected and bloomed, only 1 has ever been an aureum, and none album. It give sometimes little hope to find albinos of all the paph species, as apparently some species are far too stable genetically to get a muted plant that will be an alba.

The stories about others sukhakhulii album found in Thailand come from an import by Krairit Vejvarut of sukhakhulii album from the Orchid zone about 15 years ago, that some sellers try to pass as a 'new' albino.

Wenshanense album has not been found as well, there is a semialbum, with red leaves and albino type flower, and there are several plants of that one around. The others seems to be more xConcobellatulum album so far. Wenshanense album appeared in Thailand and in Taiwan in the trade, but the Chineses are not stupid, and no nurseries got any wenshanense album from its collector, where all the wenshanense have to go through their hands before being sold...

The few plants in China come from seed, from Taiwan, and sometimes they try to sell them as jungle plant, same story for wardii album - in fact the latter I am responsible, because I made a selfing of my albinos in Hanoi, and exchanged flasks with a Vietnamese, who exchanged those about 2-3 years ago with China... I found out the Chineses try to sell the blooming size seedlings from those flasks at 2000-5000USD as 'new wardii album', but there is no such things in China...

Kolopakingii album existed 15 years ago as a jungle collected plant in France, and the plant died - no my property...-. Then, ALL the kolopakingii album are from siblings of normal kolopakingii. There has been kolos album in 2 batches of seedlings already. One in Brazil, and one in Hawaii, different parents. But none has ever been found again in the wild, except the dead plant in France.

Overall I would advise people in general to buy seedlings of the albinos, and never buy the divisions of the so-called "original" plants. They are very expensive, and very few are genuine. I even think that lately some people sold divisions of the vietnamense album that are in fact blooming size selfings of the mother plant, much less valuable. It happened with the delenatii Dunkel, where a batch of seedgrown plants has been sent to Vietnam some years ago, and resold plant by plant as 'divisions', or with the wardii album that are presently in China. It was interesting as an aside note to know that delenatii dunkel was really a specific colony, with quite a lot of plants. Then the collector took all, sold them one by one, but could not keep all of them alive. He had over 200 original plants, and could sell only 40-50 before the stock died over the years. After that, Dalat bought flasks of the delenatii dunkel back, grew them, and sold 400-1000USD/plant as being 'jungle ones new type'... Where clever people could buy at the same time a blooming size plant from seed, same parentage, for 100US maximum...

I have belonged over spicerianum album in Thailand

It's not a spicerianum album in Thailand at all... It's an hybrid that they selected to be look-alike. Actually, Thailand when they want plain spicerianum, they have to order those plants from China, so the odd that they could get a spicerianum album genuine from the wild.... forget it. The Chineses screen all the plant that have colored bases, and keep everything that has a green base. The same applies for the helenae, coccineum, emersonii, hangianum and tranlienianum by kilo sold in Vietnam, the entire village screens even the huge clumps that looks untouched, and if any has green base, they keep it. And if Chinese have any albinos, there are much better customer than any Thai, namely Taiwan and a couple of foreigners not too far that would pay much better prices.

There has been a vejvarutianum album, that I have seen myself at Krairit Vejvarut nursery some years ago. Gone too, I forgot to mention that one.

As for charlesworthii album in Thailand, there are huge clumps around in CM and near the Burmese border, they are all fake ones, too big to be genuine, no traces of jungle collection, and the flowers have some features of hybrids.

Only 2 charlesworthii album have been found over the last 10 years, and they were not big clumps.

I have a plant of spicerianum album from Kunming, genuine, but the owner never released before divisions - he wanted to trade it, not sell it, backgrowth + 1 start. Hopefully it will bloom next year, but the plant is not the large spicerianum type, it is the 15-20 cm leafspan type. That's the same nursery that had all the tigrinum albums that ever existed, he still have a 15-20 growths tigrinum album there that he does not want to sell. I forgot, he sold for 120.000USD a Cymbidium ensifolium that had maybe two dozen petals and colors like a parrot-tulip, was even featured in the newspapers in China. He has many cymbidiums like that. Maybe that's why he is not interested in those cheap paphs albinos and prefer to grow them to enjoy the plants :p

.... I forgot, he sold for 120.000USD a Cymbidium ensifolium that had maybe two dozen petals and colors like a parrot-tulip, was even featured in the newspapers in China. He has many cymbidiums like that. Maybe that's why he is not interested in those cheap paphs albinos and prefer to grow them to enjoy the plants :p

Seems incredible but is true,last time i've been in China for a show,I met the owner of a company selling Cymbidiums and he gived me a very nice brochure with a list of very rare mutant Cymbidiums.Very nice list with photographs of each rare variety and mutations,CD-Rom etc...very profesional...and prices were incredible...many divisions were .000.000 Yuen x growth!!!

Someway yes for us...but its out of our culture to understand...is like to sell red flowered Neofinetia with peloric flowers and antocianic violet leaves to a Japanese.....no price is enough to the customer 000.000.0...

I have good sources that have confirmed the existence of a paph. sanderianum album that is in bloom in Borneo. I myself love both micranthum album and emersonii album and have fortunately been able to get both =)

I have vietnamense album( 3 tiny seedlings from Popow) and one stonei(???) album (it is only 10 cm across) and a delenatii album in bud.

Latest posts

Back